1. Knight on a Broomstick (Oliver Wood)

I was the only Hogwarts student in ten years who couldn't fly.  
   More than once, I had tried!  I wasn't afraid of the broom at all and it obeyed my every command without much struggle.  The one big problem that I couldn't fix was my ridiculously definite fear of heights.  I lifted off the ground feeling good and trying to be brave enough to actually fly...  And then I'd realize that the ground was slowly moving away.  One look straight down, and I was tumbling off the broom and having a panic attack.  
   I knew I shouldn't be quite so upset about it, but it made me feel terrible about myself.  
   Once in a while, I'd skip supper and sneak out to the pitch where I could practice without anyone watching.  Tonight was one of those nights.  Gathering all the courage I could, I gripped my dad's broom in my hands and positioned myself on it.  
   "Don't look down, Claire." I whispered.  
   I wasn't afraid.  I just had to remember not to look down!  
   With a deep breath, I slowly started lifting off of the ground.  Keeping my eyes up, I guided the broom in a low circle around the pitch.  That was easy, and the feel of flying put a smile on my face.  Little by little, I inched upwards.  But little by little, my peripheral vision saw that the bleachers were moving down as I moved up.  My breathing began to act up, and I gave up.  Landing faster than I should've, I dropped to the ground and ended up rolling over on my side on the ground to take the power of the landing off of my ankles.  Groaning at my new bruises, I sat up and gazed up at the starry sky.  
   Which looked so inviting, but was just too high for me.  
   "Hey, are you alright?" 
   I turned my head to find a familiar classmate running across the pitch towards me.  He must've seen my speedy landing, I realized.  Hoping the dimming light hid my blush, I nodded quickly.  As he neared, I recognized one of the best flyers in the school, the Gryffindor Keeper, Oliver Wood.  
   "I'm okay," I insisted as he came to a stop beside me, offering me his hand to help me stand.  
   "That was a pretty quick landing," He stated.  "Did something spook you?" 
   I shook my head.  "Just not a very good flyer, that's all." 
   He perked right up at that.  "Do you want help?  I know we're not in the same house, but I'd be glad to help you out." 
   "I really appreciate the offer, but I doubt tutoring will help," I murmured, still embarrassed that he had seen me panic.  
   "Why not?" 
   I looked up into his brown eyes, seeing curiosity swimming in them.  He really was cute, just as everyone had been raving about.  Cute, talented, and kind.  That sent a whole swarm of butterflies twirling around my stomach.  Swallowing my nerves, I turned away and picked up my broom.  
   "I-I'm afraid of it." 
   "Afraid of flying?" 
   "No...  Well, yes.  I'm afraid of heights." 
   "Oh." He said it in a way that made me feel like he understood, rather than him being disappointed.  I turned back slightly to peek at him, and found him looking up towards the wide, darkening sky.  
   "I love flying," I admitted after a minute of silence.  "I just can't get very high." 
   "Are you afraid that you'll fall?" He asked me, turning his gaze back to me.  
   I shrugged.  "I don't know...  I just see the ground shrinking beneath me, and it's like a panic attack hits me.  I don't know how to stop it from happening.  Even when I don't look down, my peripheral vision notices it."  
   Suddenly, he held out his hand for the broom I was holding.  "May I?" 
   Hesitating for only a moment, I gave him the worn broom.  He looked it over a moment before nodding approvingly.  Then, he straddled it and motioned for me to come closer.  
   "Is this your dad's?" He asked.  
   I nodded.  
   "It's a good broom, it should hold us both.  Climb on." He gave me a candid smile, holding out his hand for me.  
   Cautiously, I climbed on behind him.  He was going to push me, try to get me to conquer my fear, I knew.  If only I was a Gryffindor, I mused silently to myself yet again.  Wrapping my arms around his body, I tried to prepare myself for what was to come.  
   "Are you ready?" He asked quietly.  
   "Yes," I managed to reply, hoping it was the truth.  
   And with that, he lifted us off the ground.  Low at first, just like I had done.  Then, slowly he rose higher and higher.  As he took us higher than I had gone before, I knew my hold on him tightened while I tried really hard not to think about the ground falling away.  Instead, I tried to focus on how he was in complete control of the broom and how good it felt to have the wind in my hair.  He really knew what he was doing, too; he didn't jerk the broom around at all, even though it wasn't his normal ride.  It was a smooth ride, and it felt nice.  
   Slowing the broom's flight a little, he glanced over his shoulder at me.  "Are you doing alright, Claire?" 
   "Yes," I breathed, letting my arms loosen on him a little.  "It's actually fun!" 
   "Fun and freeing," He chuckled.  Carefully, he let go of the broom stick with one hand and placed it on top of mine, which rested on his ribs.  He gave it a gentle squeeze before returning his hand to the broom.  
   "Can we go back?" I asked, feeling my heart start to speed up as my eyes wanted to look down.  I wouldn't let them, though.  I wasn't about to ruin this moment!  
   "Sure," He replied.  
   Just as smoothly as he had taken me up into the sky, my knight on a broomstick returned me safely to the ground.  Once we were both standing on firm ground, he handed back the broom.  
   "Not so bad?" He asked with a smile.  
   I shook my head.  "It was really great!  I wish I could fly like you." 
   With one small step closer to me, he gently raised his hand to tuck a stray strand of hair behind my ear.  "That's why, if you're willing, I'd like to help you." 
   Smiling nervously at him, I nodded.  "I'd like that very much." 
   "Good." Then a note of teasing entered his voice.  "We'll have you up and playing Quidditch in no time!" 
   At that, we both had to laugh!  I doubted I'd ever be good enough to play Quidditch.  But if he could teach me to fly, I'd be forever grateful! 

(Published April 24, 2022)