seven

o p a l   t r e v o r

------------

"Is that my shirt?"

"Noooo..." Dani looks away from my other sister, Liya, with this guilty expression. "I found it in the closet."

"Exactly! Our closet," Liya takes one hand from the table we're all straining to carry across the patio to motion between her, Dani, and I. "The closet we share together. The same one I marked so you know where yall's stuff ends and mines begins!"

Dani now lets go to put her hands on her hips, breathing heavily, "Maybe, you, should - learn, how to not put your stuff on my side then!-"

"Oh my God, can you guys stop?!" OJ whines beside me, his arms shaking from trying to uphold the unequal weight we now have to take up for. "You're - you're not even helping anymore! Just bitching about some ugly shirt!"

"Hey!"

"Olev, āfihini temeliketi!" Ema walks by with freshly picked flowers in her hand and a scolding look directed at OJ. (Amharic translation: watch your mouth)

Nuru, our Ayati, sits under a tree with a giant sun hat covering her eyes, still as she watches the whole commotion. She smacks her lips and hugs herself as if offended. OJ ignores this and continues his little protest. (Amharic translation: grandma)

"Ema I don't want to do this anymore!" he pleads, trying to get her attention again since she's already walking away. A trail of sweat drips into his eye and he blinks from the sting, sniffing like he's about to cry. "My arms hurt and I'm hungry. I don't even understand why we have to do spring cleaning now -it's stupid! - We're still in march! Spring cleaning's in april! April Ema! Ema! Ema please!"

"Mmmtch, let me do it, senefi liji, go! I will come. Mmtch." Nuru struggles to stand, groaning as she grips the chair with one hand and her cane with the other. My eyes widen and I debate whether to leave OJ with the table and help Dani and Liya when they start to rush towards her. (Amharic translation: lazy boy)

"Nuru no!"

Luckily, Ema's already speed-walking and at her side within seconds. "Ema'ma, I beg, sit down. You've just had hip surgery, the doctor said no heavy lifting remember-"

"You no listen to Olev Marjani? He say he will not do it so I will go. I don't want my table broken. Very important table."

"It's fine Nuru, OJ's just joking," Dani slaps his shoulder, giving him a pointed look while laughing through her teeth. "Right?"

"Don't touch me!"

"OJ I don't think you should-" I try to reason with him quietly but he's not hearing any of it.

"No Opal! I'm sick of the disrespect! I'm sick of you guys always bossing me around and telling me what to do. Put some respect on my manliness-"

Dani snorts. "His what now?"

Liya glares at him and picks up the other side of Nuru's antique table again. I internally sigh and hold on a bit tighter because there's honestly no preparing my poor muscles from the torture that is carrying this thing.