eight

e t h e l   d i x o n

-------------

"'Cause baby, it's the everything for me. For me, for me. Baby, it's the everything for me. For me, oh, for me. Hmmm..." I walk around my room humming along with Kehlani while "Everything" plays from my speakers. Spraying some perfume on my neck, I cough when I taste the chemical part of the mist while putting on my eos lip balm. 

The clock on my purple wall reads 1:59 and I try not to get annoyed because she promised to be here by 2:15 and I still don't see no car pulling up when I peak out the window through my beaded curtains.

2:05. Now I'm pacing back and forth on my rug, anxiously running a brush through the tangles at the ends of my wig.

2:11. I double check that everything I need to go downstairs is on my bed: MacBook, charger, led pencils, post'its, the task sheet with all the requirements, my phone, chem notebook, and a hair clip in case this honey blonde unit starts itching the back of my neck.

2:13. The doorbell rings and I sigh, relieved. But then my chest feels a sharp pang right after. 

"I got it!" I shout this down the hall, hurrying back to collect all my things and do one final check of my fit in the mirror. I tweak my orange Bape hoodie a little, brushing off any additional lint on my black ripped jeans. Tell me why while I'm tryna peep how my ass looks in them, I hear one of these niggas already making their way down when I literally just said I got it a few seconds ago.

Nobody ever fucking listens I swear to god. I slip my feet into my slides and rush down the stairs with my arms full. I already hear a few voices before I reach the last step, mummy's sticking out the most.

I meet them at the entrance, Opal, surprisingly her dad, and the woman who I saw her talking to before - I assume is her mother - are taking their shoes off and setting it by the door. Mummy's the first to notice me and has the nerve to try and embarrass me right now.

"Doudou, you were taking so long, I had to come and let our guests in." I side-eye her. My guests you mean?

"I was literally just about to come down, why are you lying?" I say this to her but my eyes follow Opal who in turn, gives me a shy wave and I mentally roll my eyes. She wasn't on that shy shit when we were texting earlier. Still, I respond to her with a small nod. I don't get to see Opal's reaction because next thing I know, mummy is gently pushing me in front of her parents to properly greet them.

"Ethel, you remember your Friend Opal's dad Olev right? And this is her mother Marjani."

"Hey yall," I try to wave without much freedom to move my hands. As if she could read my mind, Opal's already at my side, taking some stuff out of my hands. What surprises me though is when her mother pulls me into a hug immediately after.

"Hello my dear." when she pulls back to examine me, "My, how precious you are..." I don't know what to say or do so I just smile extra wide, blinking my eyes like I see those little girls be doing in Toddlers & Tiaras. Her smile in response is like a stamp of approval I didn't know I was even looking for. I don't know exactly why I care, but I have a feeling it has something to do with the blonde who shifts impatiently from foot to foot beside me.