nine

o p a l   t r e v o r

-----------

"You sure this isn't too much?"

Liya tuts softly, swiping a gentle makeup brush over my eyelid. "I let you choose those stupid converses. Don't make me bring back out the wedges."

I cringe at the idea of putting the sandals back on. I want to actually have fun with Ethel, not be miserable all day because my feet hurt.

"Plus," Dani chimes in, carefully running the blunt side of the hot comb over the swoop bang that trails up to my sleek high pony. "You're a bad bitch. Nothing is too much for you."

"Period."

They giggle and I can't help to smile at her kind words.

Liya grabs a brown liner and runs it over the outline of my lips. "I'm telling you sissy, when we get done with you, Ethel's hard headed ass won't be able to take her eyes off you." I huff in amusement when she rolls her eyes, reminded of the memory of my siblings meeting Opal just last week.

It was no surprise when she got along with Dani through corny - truthfully dirty - jokes, and Olev through bonding over the fact they're the black sheep of their families - and what a huge responsibility that is. It was so adorable, the whole time she was referring to him as "lil man", and they would hold this serious look like their conversation on the best way to cook the oven baked pizza was super deep. I may have laughed. And they may have kicked me out the kitchen. Later when she left, he had a little fangirl moment because he now had a new best friend who understood the quote-unquote struggle

But you have to remember, Ethel has a mouth on her. So does Liya. They might've butt heads a little. Okay, a lot. But that's fine because Ethel promised to be "nicer" from now on and Liya said she "wouldn't say anything " as long as she isn't "provoked". Knowing both of them, they're probably lying. For now, all I have is their word and that's gonna have to be enough.

After applying my lashes, Liya sprays the setting spray and steps back to examine her work. She smiles and hands me a small mirror. I blink a few times. My sisters have to be some serious sorcerers because I look amazing. But... I still wince and the knots in my stomach tighten some more. If only I could get how I feel to match how I look.

"You nervous?" I nod staring down at my french tips. Dani sets down the hot comb and now they both stare at me with identical concerned expressions.

"What's on your mind?"

I sigh. I don't really know where to start because my thoughts feel all over the place. "I think... I think I really like her you guys. I guess I wasn't sure before but now I know it's definitely real. Like, really real. So real that I'm shaking, see?" I hold out my hands and they laugh at me, despite my frown. 

Dani teasingly flicks my nose, "Go on."

"There's nothing else to say really - I mean, we usually hang out a lot or text a lot or facetime a lo - but that makes sense because we're friends. Ya'know? But this feels kinda... I dunno, different?"

"Duh, 'cause it's a date - no - don't tell me 'technically ya'll not calling it that'. Opal it's a date. I know it. You know it. She knows it and if she denies it I'm gonna whoop her little ass for playing with my baby sister's heart."