Chapter 7: Avalon

Discord

Reading Brave Dragon provided me with such great inspiration. I was working on a book truly terrifying when Mangel barged in shouting, "Mane was no fun at all! Discord, you got something interesting I can work on?"

"I do have something fun in mind, but not for you. For Vanity. Your piranhas have started to bore me."

Vanity pulled out a Nightmare Book and summoned a Gorgon. Her snake hair looked so beautiful. I was a bit jealous.

"Let's write a beautiful tragedy." I said, "The story of the end of Earth as we know it."

Mark

"How'd it go with the research, nerd?" Manon asked when she and Aura came back.

"Great! I'm on my way to Avalon, now." I told her.

She got nervous, "What time exactly did you figure it out?"

"I think it was...around six, why?"

"Fuck! It was 6:10 when I beat that Fearbeast! Don't say anything else, just take this back!"

Manon threw the Brave Dragon book to me.

"It's good that you got your book back, but y'know I'm still going with you, right?" Evander asked me.

"I get it. Time traveling is pretty cool!"

"And dangerous. Hence why I'm coming with you."

"The nerd gets to go time traveling! No fair!" Manon stormed off.

Then, Rowan walked into the base looking pretty beaten up.

"Rowan, what happened to you?" asked Aura, rushing over to him.

"I'm fine." he insisted, "Or at least I will be. Once I can use these."

He held out the Peter Pan book and another one I hadn't seen yet...Heavenly Pegasus. He walked towards the Black Chamber.

"Time passes differently in the Black Chamber." Evander explained, "Being in there for too long puts a lot of strain on the body, but if you survive, you'll for sure be stronger for it. I just hope the boy doesn't push himself too far."

"With each generation, the kids seem to get more and more reckless." sighed Ramon, "We might end up looking for a new Mane soon."

He didn't seem to have much faith in us. I couldn't help but wonder why Rowan would go to such extremes to become stronger...and why he wouldn't talk to his best friends about it.

Rowan

I trained for so long, I could barely keep standing. While struggled to get back on my feet, I remembered the first time I tried to use two books.

Rowan (age 13)

I was in the infirmary and woke up Lady Nessa scolding me, "Rowan what were you thinking?! You're nowhere near ready for the strain of two volumes!"

"If I don't push myself...how will I ever be as strong as you?"

"It takes discipline, which you do have...but also patience. There's no need for you to rush this. In time, you'll get there and I'll be with you every step of the way. Remember you're supposed to be the next Mane after me. I can't have you killing yourself before that, silly."

She ruffled my hair, something she did quite often.

Rowan

I managed to get back up on my feet. Even if she was dead, Lady Nessa and all the Manes before us were still with us. Coreiseuse connected us all.