xi. Reunions and Deadly Sisters

"I've missed you so much," Aurora's voice was muffled slightly by Clarisse's shirt. "I hate being away from you."

The older girl's grip on her tightened, and she sighed lightly, ruffling Aurora's dark waves. Her voice was gruff, deeper than an average nine-year old, but Aurora didn't miss the hint of vulnerability, "I missed you, too. They made me do stable cleaning for attacking Matthew." Aurora lifted her head to see Clarisse shoot a glare in the older boy's direction, and he instantly adverted his gaze, furrowing his brows in pseudo-concentration as he polished his sword.

"I would've been okay," Clarisse groaned at the chiding lilt in the daughter of Iris' voice, "They would've given me the magic brownie squares."

Clarisse's grip on Aurora tightened at the thought of the dark-haired girl getting hurt, and her voice came out as a low growl, "I'd do anything to keep you from getting hurt."

The daughter of Iris blushed as the two separated, and she leaned back on Clarisse's new bed. The blonde-haired girl leaned her back against the bed and gave her best friend a smile as Aurora echoed, "I'd do anything to keep you from getting hurt."

"Aurora Alvarez and Clarisse la Rue against the world," Aurora's lips pulled into a smile, and deep dimples formed on her cheeks - instantly, Clarisse's smile widened, "I like the sound of that."

"Do you like your big brothers?" Aurora asked, and she smiled as Clarisse began to braid her hair, glaring at her half-siblings when they turned to watch. They all turned away like kicked puppies, and Clarisse smirked in satisfaction, "I wouldn't say they're my 'big brothers'. We share the same father."

Aurora pouted slightly, and she leaned her weight up against Clarisse's arm - the girl lifted her arm automatically, and Aurora curled into her side, unable to fight the smile that subconsciously pulled at her lips when Clarisse's arm settled over her shoulders like a blanket, "That's sad. I like my big brother."

Clarisse shrugged, and she glanced down at the smaller girl, "You're lucky."

"At least you have me," Aurora's smile widened when she saw Clarisse's toothy grin, and the daughter of Ares nodded, squeezing Aurora tighter to her, "You'll always have me."

Aurora knew she couldn't tear her eyes away from the Hydra for risk of losing a limb, but the instant she heard that gravelly voice, all Aurora wanted to do was glimpse her best friend, even if it was the last thing she would do. Another, unfamiliar voice called, "They're too close, m'lady!"

"Damn the heroes!" The voice called back, and Aurora could only assume Clarisse hadn't caught sight of her yet when she declared, "Full steam ahead!"

"Aye, m'lady."

"Fire at will, Captain!"

Aurora screamed, "Dive," and she dropped to the ground like a dead weight, just as an earth-shattering BOOM echoed from the river. Even from behind her closed eyes Aurora could see the flash of light, and she opened her eyes just in time to see the Hydra explode in front of her, showering her in a pungent green slime that luckily vaporized just as it hit her tanned skin.

"Yuck," Aurora shuddered, standing to her feet. She jogged a couple of feet to help Annabeth to her feet as well, and the two shared a look of mutual disgust. They looked to the river, where a cloud of gunpowder smoke billowed across the banks. Chugging down the river was an old iron steam engine ship, with a gaudy red flag that waved from the top, embroidered with a wild boar and a spear. Zombies in grey uniforms - dead soldiers with shimmering faces - lined the deck, and Aurora shivered when she realized she could see their skulls through their partially translucent skin.