8. Feelings

This chapter is a little shorter since it's basically a part two to the previous one.

...

"This is so good. Thank you, Eomeoni!"

Woojin laughs as Daesu sings his praises through his full mouth. The group is sitting in Woojin and Joonyeong's room, enjoying Eomma's famous bulgogi as they try to forget the horrors outside. Cheongsan and Onjo are sitting on the floor by the desk; Hyoryung is sitting at the desk, having cited that she can't eat food on her lap; Woojin is perched on the ottoman in front of the armchair, and Daesu sits behind him on the actual chair; Hari and Mijin are sitting on one of the beds, leaning against each other as they eat; Eomma is sitting next to Suhyeok and Nam-ra on the edge of the bed the seniors are on; and Joonyeong is sitting on the other bed with Soowi, feeding her as his own food goes cold on the side table.

"You're very welcome," Eomma replies.

"My mom would've loved this," says Cheongsan as he looks up, smiling sadly. "For all her talk on fried chicken's superiority, she always loved a good plate of bulgogi."

Onjo sends him a knowing look, grasping his hand, and Joonyeong's heart clenches for his friend.

"Soowi can feed herself, you know," Eomma then chides as Joonyeong feeds his sister another bite.

"I'm not hungry, Eomma," Joonyeong waves off before his mother can lecture him on not eating. And it's true. He's not very hungry, especially as he already ate a whole pack of raw beef. "Besides, Soowi's tired."

"Yeah," Soowi echoes. "I'm tired, Eomma."

When the group finishes their meals, little by little, people leave. The first is Daesu since he practically inhaled the bulgogi. Then, Suhyeok and Nam-ra leave, followed by Hyoryung. Hari then leaves, and Cheongsan and Onjo leave soon after. Once she's done, Mijin leaves, too, leaving Eomma, Joonyeong, Soowi, and Woojin as the only ones in the room.

"Well, I'll leave you to it," says Eomma, brushing Joonyeong's hair from his face. After giving him a hug, she gives Soowi a hug as well as a kiss. Turning to Woojin, she says, "I trust you'll protect them well."

"Without a doubt," Woojin promises, and Joonyeong looks up at the sincerity of his tone. While he knows that Eomma was joking a bit, Woojin sounds perfectly serious. The ferocity of his voice calls back to their many years of friendship. At this moment, Joonyeong feels the full weight of his history with Woojin—their ups and downs, their fun moments, their turbulences. He feels everything.

Eomma ruffles Woojin's hair.

"You're a good friend, Woojin. Make sure to get me if you need anything. And I mean anything, all right?"

Joonyeong nods, only just starting to process Woojin's declaration.

"Okay, Eomma."

"Goodnight. Sleep well, you three."

"Goodnight, Eomma!" Soowi says sweetly.

Smiling, Eomma leaves. When she does, Joonyeong stands up.

"Go brush your teeth and get ready for bed," he instructs, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Want me to tuck you in?"

Soowi crosses her arms and glares at her brother.

"I'm not a baby," she states flatly.

"Yet, you let Joonyeong feed you," Woojin points out with a mischievous grin.

"Nobody asked you," Soowi replies with a sassy tone, and now it's Joonyeong who glares at his sister.

"Apologize, Soowi," he tells her warningly.