19. The Other Hyosan Girl

Sorry I'm taking so long to update. School doesn't make it any easier. But to those of you who are still reading, thanks for sticking with it for so long and being so patient with me.

TW for referenced slut-shaming and suicidal ideation.

...

Once the holiday period ends, the euphoria of it is gone. It's like the magic of it all has been sucked into a black hole. Or it's been taken from everyone, placed in a lock box to hold until the next holiday period. Either way, things feel significantly hollow now, knowing the military's kindness is only conditional. As Joonyeong follows Captain Na down the hall to Dr. Moon's office, the weight in his heart is quickly returning. The joyous high he felt from the winter holidays is close to nonexistent now.

Guilt and confusion gnaw at his gut constantly, relentless in its infliction of pain as intrusive thoughts creep into his mind. Though Woojin's love confession was undoubtedly sincere, Joonyeong has no idea whether he was in the right state of mind. Neither of them were. While Woojin was processing the news of his parents' deaths, Joonyeong was too shocked by this sudden declaration. What if Woojin just said it because Joonyeong seemed more understanding than Ha-ri? What if he wasn't thinking clearly? What if he doesn't love him as deeply as he implied? What if—

The door swings open to Dr. Moon's office.

"Good morning, Dr. Moon."

And the monotonous routine continues.

As he's done since November, he sits on the chair in the corner and extends his arm. Dr. Moon updates him on the progress of their research like she always does, with the new information that they have finally managed to scrape a full zombie sample. Three milliliters, to be exact. And then she goes on about how they're working so hard to find a cure, and that Joonyeong shouldn't fret too much.

He's tired. He's so fucking tired. His mood is fluctuating so much these days. One day, he's unreservedly happy, like on Christmas or the first day of snow, but other times, he feels so down that he can imagine a thick, black cloud encapsulating his head, fogging everything up, suffocating him. There are too many things for him to process, too many things for him to think about. In two years, he'll be twenty, and then what will he do? In that timespan of two years, Soo-wi won't have him as her legal guardian, which will affect pretty much all of her legal affairs. He doesn't know who else can take care of her as well as he will. He doesn't trust anyone else.

When Dr. Moon finally finishes taking his samples, he gets up, ready to leave, but he's stopped by her beckoning.

"Can I show you something?"

Joonyeong turns slowly, eyeing her suspiciously. What the hell could she possibly want?

Against his better judgment, he nods.

"Perfect!" says Dr. Moon, clapping her hands together. "Come."

She stands to her full height, which is around three inches shorter than Joonyeong, before heading to the door. Opening it, she gestures for him to follow.

Nodding once again, Joonyeong passes through the clinic's threshold and begins making his way down the hall. He's never been in this area of the prison before, so a tingling excitement passes through his body. The corridor slowly gets darker and darker, and the peeling paint seems to multiply exponentially. The farther he and Dr. Moon go, the more evident it is that they're living in a very long-abandoned prison. Lights seem to flicker a tad more the more distance they cover.

Joonyeong wants to ask Dr. Moon where she's taking him as they turn a corner into an even darker hallway. Why does she want to show him something in a clearly restricted area all of a sudden? What's the occasion?

A Meaningful Sacrifice || All of Us Are Deadजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें