13. Namra's Noteworthy Advice

"Do you know the teacher, Lee Byeongchan?"

Joonyeong perks up at that question. He's sitting between Daesu and Suhyeok as he waits to be questioned. Namra, Onjo, Woojin, and Cheongsan are standing outside, waiting to be called in. The room, previously a place used for people to visit their imprisoned loved ones, is stuffy and hot. It's not even nine and Joonyeong is already sweating. Earlier this morning, Lieutenant Song woke him and Soowi up, informing him that all the surviving Hyosan High students would be asked some questions about Mr. Lee. After Joonyeong asked him where Soowi would wait, Lieutenant Song assured that he'd keep a good eye on his sister.

"I only took morning classes because I had training, so no, I don't," Hari answers the soldier, her voice distinctly empty. She was the first one called up for questioning.

"Are you sure you didn't see him at all before? Not even in passing?"

"Even if I did, I wouldn't have gotten to know him well enough to get an understanding of what he was like. All I know is that he was not very popular among the staff."

"In what ways was he not popular?"

"I'm not sure. I was only there in the mornings."

"Okay. You may go back to your seat."

Nodding, Hari stands up, returning to her spot next to Mijin. Joonyeong is surprised that her questioning was so quick.

"Next."

Mijin stands up, stretching her arms before sauntering over to the table and sitting down.

"I barely know him," she prefaces with a glare.

"But you did take his class, yes?"

Letting out a long sigh, Mijin crosses her arms.

"Yes."

"Has he ever said anything weird or acted strangely?"

At this, Mijin leans forward, crossing her arms.

"That isn't important right now. I'm a senior. What about the CSAT?"

"Please answer my question. Did he or didn't he do those things?"

"I don't know!" Mijin exclaims, falling back in the chair as she throws her hands up in frustration. "I barely paid attention to him. He was always weird! Doesn't mean I knew he was gonna make some virus that would kill us all!"

The soldier wears a look of defeat as she thanks Mijin before telling her to go back to her seat.

"Next."

Hyoryung stands up, looking totally uncomfortable. The manner in which she walks to the table is that of a small child who's just been scolded for taking the last cookie. She lowers herself into the chair slowly, looking at her feet as she does so. From his seat, Joonyeong can see her shaking slightly, and he wishes he could give her a hug.

"Do you know anything about Lee Byeong-chan with regard to the Jonas Virus?"

Hyoryung doesn't say anything.

"How about Kim Hyeon-ju?"

Still, she says nothing. The soldier sighs.

"If there's anything you want to say, say it."

Hyoryung lifts her head slowly. Unseen by the rest of the group, a single tear runs down her face.

"All right, you can go back," the soldier says, seeing that she won't get any information out of her. "Next."

Daesu pushes himself to his feet, practically dragging himself to the table. He pulls back the chair and sits down, scooting forward.

"Do you know anything about how the virus was first spread?" she asks him.