Hour Six

Light rain pattered on the window outside. Moonlight broke through the glass and illuminated Ella's desk. Usually rain might dampen her spirits, but she welcomed the sound that she would likely never hear again. Her desk laid under the window, and she was sitting at it, tapping the air with her foot and humming a tune. The lyrics of her last song stared her in the face, resting on the desk on a thin sheet of paper. Her cell phone laid beside it, with unread messages from Jordan and Kel.

"...only your love..." she muttered as trailed off into thought. Dinner weighed heavily on Ella's stomach. She wanted to go down and get more, but she hesitated. The shadow of death loomed over her and anything to quicken the process made her anxious, including eating. A knock came at her door.

"Hey, Ella," said her mom wearily. "Your...dad's going to call you soon."

Ella looked up from her song. "Dad? He wants to talk to me?"

"I told him the news, and he has something he wants to tell you." Her mom pointed at her cell phone. It lit up and rang as if on cue.

"I always said you had magic hands," Ella giggled to herself as her mom shook her head in embarrassment and left her alone. The phone continued to ring.

Should I pick it up? Her fingers trembled as she pressed the answer button.

"Hello?" came the voice. Her eyes started watering at the sound. She chided herself and spoke. 

"Hi, Dad." Her voice was dry.

"Ella...I heard the news. Are you okay?"

She wanted to yell. Instead she said, "I'll be okay. It won't be any different with or without me to you."

Darn it, I didn't mean to say that.

The defeaning silence hung in the air for a few seconds before he responded. "I'll be at your performance tomorrow. I couldn't let miss my girl's performance."

Ella let out a small whimper before the tears streamed out of her eyes. "Why didn't you come to the other ones, daddy?"

He scoffed. "I was...busy you know that—" She hit the hang-up button and ran to her bed to sob into her pillow.

The memories returned, but she pushed them away and slowly, she drifted off to sleep, tossing and turning the rest of the night.