Hour Twenty-four

The sanctuary was filled with a few-hundred people, much more than an average service. But that didn't deter Ella as she walked onto the stage. A singular microphone stood in the center.

The crowds watched as she stood in front of the microphone. She saw her father in the back corner, looking better than usual. Maybe there was hope for him.

Jordan and Kel were in the front, somehow. Her mother and Peter were mixed into the crowd. If she had time, she'd find them later.

The music started playing in the background. So, Ella began to sing. When she hit the first note, the ecstasy of it was enlightening. She continued to sing, running through each lyric and note with a passion that came from the depths of her soul.

People in the crowd raised their phones and waved them back and forth. She heard crying mixed in, but she pushed on. Then the chest pain began.

Ella halted her singing for a moment. It felt as though a searing hot fire had crawled its way into her. She attempted to continue, but then began coughing up blood. The metallic taste accompanied by what was now being splattered onto the microphone.

Jordan and Kel jumped onto the stage and ran to catch her as she fell over. She heard the microphone clatter to the ground, but she couldn't see it.

"Wh-" she tried to say, but the words wouldn't form. Panic entered her, but then an overwhelming sense of peace.

It was better than anything she'd ever felt and almost made her forget about her turmoil. She could feel her body coughing, but the pain was gone. Maybe her dad really could get better. Her family could be together, even if she wasn't there. 

"Is this what death feels like?" She asked herself. Before she could answer herself, she saw Jordan close her eyes, and everything went dark.