chapter one

2002 Age 18 Ohio

2002
Age 18
Ohio

"This is it, the last minutes to the rest of your life.." I exhaled heavily as the coach talked to the team but my focus was on the stands. I was trying to see if my parents had made it to our championship game but, the spots I reserved for them were still empty. I don't know why I expected anything less.. they had a lot of business going on currently so, they had to be out of the country. It wasn't anything new.

"Y/n." Humming, I faced my coach to see him leaning closer with raised eyebrows. "Anything you wanna say? Motivate your team?" Oh yeah, being captain and all, it was my job to be the positive one.. no matter what.

I simply nodded and turned to the other group of girls who were watching, waiting for my 'motivation.' "We've worked all year for this. That title is already ours and I won't let some team like sierra lake take it from us. Y'all should feel the same." Grabbing my stick, I raised it and they followed suit. "I believe in every one of you, more than you can imagine.. thank you for making this season one to remember. Now let's go win a damn championship, alright?"

After getting them riled up and feeling invincible, I followed behind as they ran onto the field again.

"Ready?" The ref said, looking at me and the other captain is be facing off with. Nodding, he sat the ball to the ground and we both leaned down with our sticks until the whistle was blown. I was able to come away with the ball, it resting in my net perfectly as I ran down the field.

Multiple defenders were coming for me but I dodged them one by only feeling myself getting stronger instead of tired. I blamed it on the adrenaline.

But as I was coming up to the goal, four defenders were running me down in a parallel line, stopping me from being able to dodge left to right. And I could've passed it off...

I felt my speed heighten as I planted my left foot into the ground and felt myself lifting, air wrapping my body when I lifted into a side flip that carried me over the defenders. Once my feet planted, I quickly slung the stick forward and watched as the ball soared past the goalie at lighting speed.

"Holy shit! How'd you do that?!" A teammate shouted in excitement as I was surrounded by my teammates. "I didn't know you could flip!"

I shrugged. "Me either."

We won the game. It was great and, I was happy for my team cause I know they worked hard for this. They deserved it.

"Hey," I hummed as someone sat by my side but my focus was on my cleats as I unlaced them. "So, what are we doing for the big one-eight?" My head raised as our co-captain smiled but I could see the flirtatious look in her eyes. I always saw it but chose to ignore it. "Oh come on. It's your eighteenth birthday and we just won nationals." Here it comes. "You should definitely throw a party at your house. I'll even bring the drinks."