chapter four

Week Two

Week Two

"What is your status?"

My eyes were trained on the man ahead of me, his hands clenching a brief case while he stood outside on a sidewalk.

"He's spotted." A deep voice bellowed next to me. I looked up, eying the man. His eyes and face covered by the black goggles and black mask. Assuming he felt my gaze, he lowered his head and stared down at me.

I couldn't feel anything; not happiness, not sadness, not joy, but whenever I was with him, the Winter Soldier, I felt compelled to care for him. As if he was... there's a word for it. I can't think of the word but something less than an owner, but more than a friend.

"Focus." He said, turning back around. I faced forward as well, my head leaning toward the sniper rifle again where I looked through the scope.

The man we were tracking kept looking around uneasily, clearly anticipating someone to spot him.

"There's a black truck coming towards him. Eliminate your target, retrieve the case," I heard in my ear. I simply nodded and took in a slow breath, my finger resting on the trigger while raising the gun up to aim with his head.

This was my third assassination this week. I've been trained to kill and complete my assignments without a hitch. No feelings attached, no persons detected. I never failed.

"Target locked." I mumbled, watching the man turn toward the car that was slowly pulling up. He smiled, the window rolling down to show another face. A little girl.

I could hear her... "Daddy!"

"Pull the trigger, Wolf." The Soldier said beside me, fist clenching. "Pull it."

The man walked to the car and raised his arms toward her. "Hi kiddo." Kiddo...

I could feel a dull throb in my temple as I watched the interaction. Her leaning out of the window, him leaning forward to accept her hug. Kiddo, what does that mean? I've heard that before. Kiddo...

"Wolf." A teeth gritted voice made its way to my ears, my eyes lowering for a second when I felt a harsh grip to the back of my neck. His glasses were off now and dark eyes met mine. His hand reached to his ear and I saw him hold it, his other hand grabbing my ear where the mic was. "Do you want to be put back into that room?" He spat out, voice wavering slightly. I swallowed thickly, my head shaking. "Then take.. the.. shot."

He backed away, hand releasing my earpiece. "Wolf what's are your doing? Take the damn shot!" The suits were screaming in my ear.

I couldn't go back to that room, I wouldn't.

My eyes found the man again and he pulled the passenger side door open, his left foot stepping in... before he lowered into the car, my finger pulled the trigger back.