𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒊𝒕𝒚

YOU DREAM AGAIN

YOU DREAM AGAIN. It is the same vision replaying in your head. Over and over—similar to a motion picture on loop. You stare at the ceiling. It is plain, dull, and gray. Yawning, you then shift your attention to the window, the sceneries beyond the tinted glass are moving past you like a blur.

Thinking about it, the images are in a way analogous to the years that have gone by, since you last came to the countryside estate of your late grandmother. Now, you and your family are en route to stay there once again for the whole summer.

You lean on the headrest, closing your eyes. You are trying to take a nap before arriving to your destination. Dreams of a certain cerulean-eyed man has started to inundate your nights a couple of days ago. You wondered the meaning behind all of them.

It is in fact strange. To witness the same childhood memory on repeat. You are still debating if whether it is real and not just a figment of your prolific imagination.

“S-Satoru...”

You heard yourself whisper his name for the first time in years. Leaving a bittersweet aftertaste in your mouth. You have asked about him—to your mother, your father, even to your distant relatives who occasionally visit the estate every now and then.

However, none of their answers match the tall, milky-haired, and blue orbed descriptions of the conundrum named Satoru.

“Is everything alright, sweetheart?” A feminine voice made its way to your ears. You snap your eyes open, seeing your mother gazing before you from the passenger seat. Brows drawn in worry.

“Ah—yes—Mom.” You replied, offering a smile. “I'm okay.”

Your little brother who is sleeping on your lap began to stir from his drowse. “Are we there yet?” He asked, rubbing his left cheek. He was inquiring about this for the nth time now.

You then laugh at his impatience—your parents then too, although it was only natural for his incredibly young age. “Not yet.” You respond in the same manner, pinching his nose. “But we're almost there.”

You draw a breath

You draw a breath. An unwanted squeal has almost freed itself from you, but you hurriedly cover your mouth with your hand. Saving yourself from the embarrassment.

You feel like a child again.

Nostalgia striking you in the best possible way. The place is just like how you remember it. As if it was never touched by the transcendent hands of time. Preserved from the inevitable seasons of change. 

After settling your things in your room and helping your little brother with his own, you begin to explore the area of your family's summer home. It is still as beautiful and breathtaking.

The wide and expansive field is humming with life. Vivid colors atop deep viridescent stems. Swaying back and forth with the crisp zephyr. Your loose hair acquiesce to its gentle blow. You inclined in its embrace. A radiant smile teeming on the curve of your supple lips.

You take off your sandals, unclasping their individual locks. Your bare feet then sink on the grass. Feeling its dampness beneath your soles. Serenity oozing from within you as you sigh in content.

You begin to croon a low, steady rhythm with your closed lips. Treading towards the direction of the ancient oak tree. It was the same senescent wood that has provided you shade in your time here when you were a child.

Picking flowers and turning them into floral wreaths.

Your palm reaches for its bark. Tracing the ridges and curls of its craggy surface. Greeting an old friend. A moment later, a gust of wind proceeded to puff through you, as if acknowledging your presence.

However, in your surprise, another hand then made its way to touch the rich deep hue of the tree trunk. It is large, slender, and callous. Belonging to someone who has experienced the different wades of life.

Your eyes follow the trail to the newcomer's face. Breath hitching as you behold the person who you always thought was a mere fable of your past.

“Welcome back, [Name].”

His smile is one of growing happiness. Showing you his glistening circles that is ever blue, bringing forth the wonders of warmth in the midst of summertime. That smile is the most beautiful thing you have seen in a while, because it swells in his eyes—and then impinges deep into your soul.

 That smile is the most beautiful thing you have seen in a while, because it swells in his eyes—and then impinges deep into your soul