Mermaid's Wish Pt1.2

That day, Evelyn and Rhian returned home later than Japeth had expected. "An incident happened.", Evelyn had explained. When Japeth asked Rhian what had happened, Rhian replied:" I don't want to talk about it."

Fine. Japeth could care less about what happened to Rhian. His only concern right now is when he'll see his little mermaid again.

The next day, Evelyn found out that one of her healing potions had gone missing. She demanded if Japeth had taken it.

Japeth, of course, lied and said he didn't know a thing about it.

Evelyn, of course, didn't believe a thing he said. So Japeth was grounded.

To Evelyn's and Rhian's surprise though, Japeth didn't cause a racket nor did he try to sneak out as he used to whenever he was grounded.

"The world must be ending," Rhian said once, amused. "That you're doing what you're told."

It's not like Japeth had meant to be obedient. He had decided to stay home just so he could go through his thoughts. What is he going to say the next time he met his mermaid? He hadn't thought of a wish yet, and he certainly didn't want his acquaintance with Aric to end so soon. As much as Japeth wanted to see Aric, he is equally disturbed by the fact he's having feelings for someone other than his family. I simply feel interested in him because he's the first mermaid I've ever seen, Japeth comforted himself. Nothing else, of course. He'll go call him the next time Evelyn and Rhian are not at home.

Standing on the sandy beach with waves crashing at his feet, Japeth faced the vast aquamarine sea and did what Aric had told him to do. Call his name and he'd come to him. Japeth looked around to make sure there wasn't a person in sight before shouting at the sea.

"Aric——!"

Japeth waited. Nothing replied to him other than the soft and intermittent rumbling of waves and the occasional caw of seagulls. Japeth dug his nails into his palm, nearly piercing the flesh. Now that he thought about it, the mermaid could've been lying to him. After all, he showed no proof that his "Mermaid's Wish" was in any way valid, nor did he make Japeth sign a contract as the infamous sea witch did when making deals. For a split second, Japeth felt like a fool for believing Aric. But he remembered how the mermaid unwillingly but still honestly told him he'd give Japeth his wish, the way he looked at Japeth with a displeased manner, clearly expressing:" Damn-it-I-really-don't-want-to-do-this-but-you-saved-me-I-have-no-choice-ugh-I-hate-you." It was kind of......cute?

Maybe I am a fool, Japeth thought. But his lips curled upwards and he stayed, turning his attention back to the ocean where he saw the waves part, and, there he emerged out of the azure waves, Japeth's mermaid.

"Sorry." Aric apologized, a little breathless. "Took me a while to explain to my mother. She wasn't happy about my leaving the house during my punishment."

Japeth raised an eyebrow: "I guess you were grounded too?"

"Four weeks." Aric grimaced." If it wasn't for you, I'd be stuck in that dreadful place for this long. What do you mean by 'too'? You were also grounded?"

"Nothing." Japeth waved it off.

"Whatever." Aric rubbed his neck. "So..... You're ready to wish?"

"Hmm...... Actually, not quite yet."

As Japeth said this, he noticed Aric's shoulders loosen up, as if he'd been holding a breath, only to relax when he heard this answer from Japeth.

"Oh, all right. So, why'd you call me?"