Mermaid's Wish Pt1.4

The sea turned shades of gray and cerulean as time passed and the two boys grew close. They heard endless stories of each other's lives. They had fun together, whether it was pranking humans who invaded their "territory", or simply lying under a quilt of the light sky and fluffy clouds just chatting. They shared everything, from snacks to secrets.

......

"Why'd you come so early? Aren't you supposed to be at a party?"

"Who cares. The party's mainly for Rhian anyway. I'd rather be out here with you."

Aric grinned:"Smart choice. I'm definitely more fun than that party."

Japeth peered at Aric. His tail had grown long and slender, the deep amethyst scales glistening under the starlight.

"What are you looking at, birthday boy? Come with me."

Aric reached out his hand and Japeth took it: the gesture had become casual over the time they spent together. Japeth morphed into his suit of scims and ducked into the water with Aric. He could see Aric's slender but strong tail moving, beating away the water, scales rippling.

They reached a small island a bit distant from the shore. Technically speaking, it wasn't an island: it was just a large reef. The two boys loved it here, they would spend hours together , usually with Aric in the water and Japeth sitting.

They stayed like that quietly for a moment, gazing at the night sky and enjoying the mere presence of each other before Aric broke the silence.

"Happy birthday, Japeth."

Japeth smiled and turned to face Aric:"Thanks, Aric." He paused, then added playfully: "What gifts have you brought me then?"

"Well, do you have anything particular in mind? Maybe use your wish?" Aric teased.

Even in the dim starlight, Aric's eyes still sparkled. Japeth knew it was because Aric was looking at him. He couldn't stop himself from saying——

"Yes."

He could feel Aric tense. The smile was still on his face, but his tail had stopped swaying, a sign Japeth knew well meant Aric was anxious.

"Oh, oh. Go ahead and......say it, then." Aric answered, swallowing down his uneasiness.

"I wish for......"

Japeth peered at Aric for a long time, there was no sound but the soft murmur of the waves and the whispers of the wind between them. As he said the words, he felt the air tinged with heat, the wish about to be made.

Suddenly Japeth chuckled.

"I wish for you to give me that flower."

Aric snapped to his senses, confused. He followed Japeth's gaze to a small, battered but still stubbornly standing flower on a smaller reef not far away from the one they were sitting on.

Endless thoughts were going through his mind right now, but he said nothing as he swam over, plucked the poor little thing up, swam back, and offered it to Japeth, who took it carefully, equally silent

They could both feel it. The bond held by the oath had now vanished.

They stayed like that, staring out into the far distance where the sky and sea mingled, blurred together by the dark of night, pinpricks of light flickering among.

"I should go now." Japeth stood up suddenly, shattering the still air between them.

Aric glanced at him, then returned to gaze at the galaxy above.

"Goodbye, little mermaid."

Aric didn't reply.

Japeth turned and plunged into the ice-cold water, swimming alone back to the shore.

Aric watched him leave.

A month had passed since the wish was fulfilled. During this time, Japeth went to the beach every day, calling out for his mermaid. But Aric never answered. It was as if he had never existed.

Soon it was time for the Winter Festival in Foxwood. On the day of the festival, thick petals of snow were falling, enveloping the whole town in the ambiance of the festival. Japeth was curled up in his room, bored to death. He always hated festivals. There was no one to prank at the moment: His mother had left for a party in town, leaving the house in the control of the twins, allowing them to invite friends, whom Rhian was now gathering.

Japeth, unfortunately, lost touch with his only friend about a month ago.

He was just coming up with ideas to harass Rhian and his friends when he heard thumping on the door. Japeth groaned. Probably one of Rhian's friends who came earlier than expected. He dragged himself to the door, ready to spill his irritation on whoever came——

The door opened and a figure stood: His ears and nose pink from the cold, a few flakes of snow on his raven-black hair, and above the woolen scarf, a pair of amethyst eyes twinkled at Japeth. For a swift moment, Japeth forgot how to breathe.

Aric spoke up: "It's pretty cold out here. Aren't you going to invite——"

Before he could finish the sentence, Japeth pulled him into a warm embrace. They stumbled into the house together, and only when Aric complained "I can't breathe" did Japeth let go.

"I thought we'd never meet again." Japeth breathed. "How did you——?"

"My mom. She helped me brew a transformation potion. Took me a while to practice and get used to this body so I wouldn't look too suspicious." Aric answered, shifting his weight from left foot to right, proving he now had perfect control over his body.

"This is awesome!" Japeth grinned. Then he hugged Aric again.

"I'm really, really grateful you came to find me." He mumbled into Aric's scarf.

Aric sighed and patted him on the back.

After days and nights of pondering, he finally understood the meaning of Japeth's seemingly hasty wish. So Aric came to find him, to answer him.

When Japeth finally stopped clinging to him, Aric offered him his hand:"I assume this time we understand each other perfectly?"

Japeth took his hand and pecked it:"Yeah, I think we do."

They looked in each other's eyes and smiled.

Just then, knocking sounded at the door and a voice demanded:"Japeth, open the door, please! I forgot the keys!"

Japeth scowled at the door and Aric asked:"That's your brother?"

"Yeah," Japeth replied. "Be prepared to meet him. He's horrible."

Japeth opened the door and in came Rhian, followed by a tall boy whom Japeth had never seen before. Probably a new friend.

Rhian spotted Aric and seemed quite amused:"Oh, Japeth! Looks like you've found yourself a friend. Why don't you introduce him to us? I, too, have a new friend to introduce to you."

But before the brothers could introduce their friends, Aric and the tall boy were already staring at each other in shock.

"Aric? / Kei?!"

Notes: Yay this is the last bit of Part1!!! I'm too lazy to write another long part so Pt2 will be short( ー̀εー́ ). 

Here are some explanations about the things I wrote:  Japeth wanted to wish for Aric to love him but feared that Aric will only love him due to the effects of the wish, so he wished for something else that's not important.

Also I noticed I wrote them sweeter and cuter than they should've been, but I just wanted this to be a happy fairy tale-ish short story so yeah. Thanks for reading!!!