25 | twenty-five

Ace Black

I am extremely nervous. I'm not kidding. My hands are so sweaty that they're slipping on the steering wheel as I'm driving. I have a question to ask Mel and I don't know how she'll react. The question I'm going to ask her is very life-changing, so I'm scared that she'll say no. As I try not to overthink my life choices, I pulled up to Mel's house. Like always, I hopped out of the car and walked over to knock on her door.

"Ace!" Mel's mom exclaimed. "It's good to see you again."

"It's good to see you too," I smiled, stepping inside.

"Mel! Ace is here!" She yelled, then turned her attention to me. "I made some cookies if you want some. They're on the kitchen counter."

"I'd love a cookie," I beamed, slipping my shoes off, and heading to the kitchen. I shoved two cookies in my mouth when Mel walked into the kitchen.

"Hey, Baby," She smiled.

"Mmfp," I greeted.

"You're really enjoying those cookies, I see," She giggled, adjusting her sweater. She looked gorgeous. She was wearing a gray cropped sweater, black bike shorts, and some black sneakers.

I swallowed down my cookies, "Are you not going to get hot? It's the middle of spring."

Mel shook her head, "I'll be fine. Plus, if I get hot, I'll just borrow one of your shirts."

"Sounds like a plan," I smirked, pressing my lips against her forehead.

"Ew, get a room," Isaiah commented, scrunching up his face.

Mel rolled her eyes, "Come, let's go."

I followed her to the front door and slipped my shoes back on. She opened the door for me and gestured for me to go ahead. I picked Mel up and slumped her over my shoulder.

She laughed, "What are you doing?"

"Giving my girlfriend a lift," I chuckled. I opened the car door, put Mel down, then walked over to my side of the car.

"Precious, do you wanna stop by a café?" I asked as I sat down.

"Yes, please," Mel nodded.

I smiled and started to pull out the driveway, "So, I was talking to Jay earlier."

"Oh, god-" Mel sighed. "I'm still tryna get him to stop calling me Melon."

I laughed, "I'll let you in on a little secret."

Mel leaned closer to me, "I'm all ears."

"His middle names are Mary Lee Catherine Jane," I chuckled.

Mel started dying of laughter, "This guy is always picking me for a teacher calling me Melon when he's keeping that a secret."

"Yep," I nodded. "Anyway, I was talking to him earlier and he said that it was Bree saying that I kissed someone."

Mel rolled her eyes, "Of course."

"I just thought I would let you know," I sighed. Mel bit her lip and looked out her window. "You ok?"

"Y-Yeah," Mel stuttered. "I'm just annoyed."

"Go on...." I gestured for her to continue.

"It's just not fair. We should be allowed to be in love without having to deal with Bree trying to break us up. It's just annoying," Mel grumbled. "Why won't she just give up and be with Hunter already."

"You feel better now that you let that out?" I asked.

"Yeah," Mel shrugged.

I pulled the car into the parking lot in front of the café, "You can tell me when you're upset with anyone. Or even me."