Epilogue

Melionë Brewer

I was washing the dishes when I felt two arms wrap around my waist. I chuckled and placed a cup on the dish rack. Ace twisted me around and kissed my lips gently. I giggled and nuzzled my face into his chest. The oven started to beep, so I pulled away and grabbed an oven mitt to get the lasagna I made.

"That looks so good," Ace drooled.

"Thanks, it took forever to make," I smiled.

"Good thing I'm starving, let's eat!" Ace exclaimed.

"Not until everyone gets here," I crossed my arms.

"Man," Ace whined. "We see them every day. Why are they coming over for dinner?"

"Cause that's what family does," Isaiah said, walking into the kitchen.

"How the hell did you get inside-" Ace coughed.

"We have a spare key," Selene exclaimed, from the living room.

"Auntie Mel!" Xander, my 2-year-old nephew, smiled, hugging my legs.

"Hey, Xander," I chuckled, picking him up.

"Hi, Untle Ace!" He waved at Ace.

"Hey, Buddy," Ace smiled.

"Do you want some apple juice?" I ask Xander.

He nods, so I walk over to the fridge to grab the apple juice. Ace grabbed a plastic cup from the cupboard and said "How's daycare?"

"I paint mommy and daddy," He smiled cheekily as I poured the juice into the cup Ace was holding for me. Xander extended his arms to Ace, so Ace took him from my arms and gave him the cup of juice.

"That's nice," I smiled. "There's plastic straws in that cupboard I think."

Isaiah scrunched up his nose, "Yeah, but he used blue paint so we look smurfs."

Ace and I chuckled. "Well, at least you know he cares about you," I smiled.

"What do you mean!" Selene exclaimed. "He thinks Isaiah is a freaking superhero and I'm over here like: 'Um excuse me I pushed you out of my crotch-'"

"We're here!" I heard River call from the living room. I walked past Isaiah to get to the living room. River was fighting with her coat's zipper, so Jay helped her take it off. She groaned, rubbing her stomach, as Jay went to put her coat away.

"Ugh, I'm so hungry," River grumbled.

"Good, 'cause the food is done!" I exclaimed.

"Why are you holding apple juice?" Jay asked.

I shrugged, "You want some?"

"Could I get an alcoholic beverage instead?" Jay asked.

"Ace has a mini-fridge in the garage with beer I'm pretty sure," I say.

"ACE! I'M TAKING SOME OF YOUR BEER!" Jay yelled.

"No, you're not," Ace shook his head, still carrying Xander in his arms. "You're even more annoying than you usually are when you're drunk. And how the hell did you get inside too?!"

"We have a key," River replied.

"Mel, when did you give these keys to them?" Ace asked.

"Last month, I think," I mumbled.

"Why?" Ace puffed out a breath of air.

"What if I forget my keys? Or I need Isaiah to fix something while you and I aren't home. Or River needs to borrow something. Or Selene needs to borrow something," I rambled.