2

The smell of the hospital is overwhelming but way too familiar as I wake up again. My clenched jaw and tension in my muscles are excruciating. I try to dissociate and go into my world. The doctors come with the nurses who have been checking on me more then usual, probably in preparation for another experiment. Surprisingly though, they simply tell me to go eat in the cafeteria and try to socialize. Easy to say when you have a red wristband.

It is hard to get up but I manage to go into the cafeteria. I wait in line, focusing on the food ahead. Some stare, others ignore me. I see further in the line another red, as they call us, and I can see why the others don't talk to us much. We look horrible. My thin body especially. I don't know how I even made it through the requirements for such a trial.

With my food in hands I sit at the furthest table possible of the doors. The red one from before comes to sit in front of me. He checks around as if he's searching for someone. I ignore him and eat rapidly to be able to get out of here. As I reach out for my water, he sticks a note in my hand, discretely and fast. I almost didn't realize it until I actually grabbed the bottle and felt the papers corner stick me in the palm. His green eyes meet mine. His face is neutral but I can see his forcing it. His last session must've been a while ago, the needle marks on his arm are barely visible. They've healed. Mine too. Maybe they've stopped the experiments? Maybe it's time we go back to the green wristbands? Maybe even the blue ones? The drugs I'm being pumped of are scary and clearly fucking my health up. I rarely have a period and am getting a weird cold every month or so.

I nervously put the paper in my shoe, faking having to tie them tighter to my foot. He seems satisfied with what I did. I almost ask his name but before a sound comes out he leaves and throws out the rest of his food. I finish my plate and head out back to my room. Each door opens after verifying my wrist band. It's basically a prison.

I remember vaguely life before this. I was in an orphanage, a big one near a lake. I don't remember anything else before that. Ladies there told me my parents had died when I was 2 years old. One day, a lady came to pick me up. They told me I was adopted. I was so happy then. They idealize the life after the orphanage when they really shouldn't have, in my situation especially. I mean it's not the typical one but still.

I'm now in my bed. I'm so tired I almost forget about the paper. I head to the bathroom of my room and take it out of my shoe. Some simple phrases are written in small handwriting.

"I heard they're gonna up on our drug intake. A new form of experiment is gonna take place. They told me to escape, you should too. In 6 days, at 10pm, jump out of your window. The alarms will be shut off and I'll be on the ground below. If you don't jump on time, I'll assume you're not coming. I hope to see you then. Others will join."