Prologue

"Success is not an accident

"Success is not an accident. It is sheer hard work. There are no shortcuts. You have to take the stairs and you have to start from the bottom."

R I T A   Z A H A R A

.

.

Eloise

I leaned back on the sofa, every Omega or non-status wolf always enjoys times like this, we rarely had free time. Omegas because they had to do chores and non-status wolves because of chores plus the training for The Evaluation.

"Eloise! Get down to the kitchen to make lunch!" The voice I knew very well yelled. It was one of the head Omegas. She may seem bossy, but she is definitely a great company to have. She's the one in charge in the kitchens, the one to make sure that we make breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily.

She started hollering others' names and I could hear the grunts and groans that were given out by the other Omegas or the non-status wolves.

I hopped off the sofa and started walking down the wooden stairs, it creaked each time I stepped down. The Omega and non-status' house for working in this country was very old, you can even call it ancient without people criticizing your words.

"What's the food for today?" I asked my best friend, Delilah.

"We're assigned to make Beef and Barley Stew," Delilah answered.

I nodded and got the recipe book. 

Yes, I have been treated as an Omega since I was born, that's how non-status wolves are treated. 

Everyone is born as a none status, we get our final ranks during The Evaluation so that even Alphas and Lunas can experience hard work.

I have gone through a lot of recipes since I was young and working in the Omega and non-status' house, but because of werewolf appetite, we don't make the same food for months, and because of the same reason, it requires a lot of people to make food.

I'm not really calling werewolves greedy for food, but werewolves tend to eat more because of the amount of energy we exhibit whenever we do training, shifting, or just do daily things. It takes a lot of food to satisfy the wolf within us.

As I started preparing the ingredients, more Omegas and non-status wolves started filing into the kitchen. We started making the food we were assigned to make in groups.

My group and I started chatting while preparing the meal, it was the only thing to keep us entertained while doing our work. 

A high-pitched scream made us look over our shoulders.

I sighed, it was Shae, the clumsy one. She always ends up breaking something whenever she was assigned to do something. There were pieces of broken glass on the floor around her, meaning that she had most probably broken another plate.

Delilah, who was behind me, facepalmed.

The head Omega in charge went towards her to fix the situation and ushered us back to work. I cooked the food while thinking about tomorrow. Tomorrow was The Evaluation Test, the test that would determine my rank.

Everyone thought that I would score enough or more than the Beta rank. Only she-wolves are able to get the rank of a Beta.

My family came from a long line of Zeta's and Beta's, the two highest ranks a werewolf of each gender could get, besides the Alphas, though the Zeta rank is available for both males and females. 

My first brother got the rank of a Gamma, while my second brother was ranked Zeta. I was expected to get the rank of a Beta; the second-highest position a she-wolf can get.

Non-status wolves have more free time than ranked Omegas do, but we are treated the same.

All werewolves are born as non-status to show equality, and that hard work pays off well. Even if you are a child of a long line of Alpha's or whatsoever, you are still to be treated as an Omega before The Evaluation. The only difference is the training our respective families give us, and, of course, the pressure of doing better because of the family's rank.

I was thrust out of my thoughts when Delilah mentioned exactly what I had been thinking.

"Am I the only one nervous for The Evaluation Test?" She wondered out loud.

"I am too," I admitted. The others in our group admitted their fears after seeing that I, Eloise White, is actually nervous for The Evaluation. Everyone already knew I would score enough for the Beta rank, yet here I am, admitting that I was nervous for The Evaluation Test.

"Do you guys think I'll get a higher rank than an Omega?" Clara asked softly. Clara was born to a family of Omegas, she has always told us about wanting to be on the Delta rank. She wanted to help train the non-status wolves, it was her ambition and we all supported her for it.

"Hell yeah!" I said. Even though she was born to a family of Omegas, she clearly was made for the Delta role, she was stronger than an Omega should be.

After we finished cooking the food, the Omegas from the Royal Palace came to fetch the food. Yes, the job in the Omega houses was to make food for the whole town and high-ranking wolves. We started cleaning the kitchen up, and after we did, the non-status wolves had a time off until we have to clean the house and make food for dinner.

I was called back home by my parents, they want to train me for the last time for The Evaluation Test, apparently.

I was allowed to go back home but should be back at 4 pm, being in a family full of high-ranked werewolves was no exception on the equality treatment when you're a non-status.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy for equality. It shows that we are all equal no matter how strong or powerful our family line is.

I went into my family's mansion and into the training grounds. My father and brothers were waiting for me, my father had his arms crossed as he stared at my brother chat childishly. My father slammed his palm on his forehead.

 "I don't know how you two got high positions, you two are so childish!"

"Says the one who scored Delta," Noah, my first brother said.

"Stop rubbing your success on my face! I, after all, am the one who trained you and your brother," my father countered.

For a strict father, my father was actually fun to have around. He never pressured us to do better than our best on The Evaluation Test unlike most lines of high-ranking families.

"Hey sis," Max, my second eldest brother said.

Both my father and eldest brother looked around. 

"Oh, I didn't see you there," Noah said. "Let's get on to training, shall we?"

I nodded eagerly, and the usual training began.