CHAPTER I

" Jade, get back here!" Sepher could be heard shouting at her little sister who ran off into the garden. Sepher, a bit older than Jade with blonde hair and emerald like eyes. Tall in stature, more reserved but fun loving at heart. Jade was the youngest of three. Her beautiful dark hair tied to locks complemented her brown eyes extremely well. She was fast, strong, unwavering and simply couldn't keep herself out of trouble. In the background the magnificent and majestic palace stood tall above all of Astrad. A kingdom covered in spectacular mountain ranges, breathtaking rivers and an ever present green lush. The people of Astrad better known as Astradians, were rulers of galaxies and beyond. Under the leadership of King Xira  they had conquered kingdoms, monsters, vanquished demons and trampled on their enemies. They were an ever recurring thorn in the flesh of the nine realms.

"Catch me if you can," dared Jade  still ruffling Sepher's feathers.

"Very well then," said Sepher accepting the challenge of playing hide and seek.

"Father, those two are at it again," bemoaned Ren to his father King Xira. Her red hair reaching beneath her shoulders. Blue eyes as the seas. She was the eldest, fierce, unforgiving and the perfect daughter. Dorning her usual regalia, boots, black trousers, a red coat and a strap bag.

" For the first time I am seeing Jade so happy, how come you won't join them?" Inquired Xira as they stood at the palace balcony overlooking the garden. Having seen kingdoms rise and fall , he neither looked a day older nor a day younger. Wavy white hair coupled with a scary beard, a golden septer in his grasp and clothed in a bright blue robe.

"I am too old for that," replied Ren as they watched Sepher chase Jade across the lilly flowers and the rose bushes.

"My daughter, you will never be too old to have fun." Xira hearing none of it.

"Besides, the person I loved most is no longer with us." Silence prevailing after Ren's utterance.

Xira looks into the distance, his thoughts lingering about in his mind.

"Your mother had a choice and choosing Jade over her own life was the best decision she ever made." He places his palm on Ren's shoulder.

" What about me? What about you father? Didn't she think about that?" Questioned Ren breaking down , her father comforting her in the warm embrace.

"All will be well my dear, in due time you will realize that your mother did what was best for all of us." His words leaving a bitter taste in her mouth.

Xira and Ren don't notice the arrival of Xaqa , Xira's older brother and Ren's uncle. Commander of the royal guard and advisor to the King.

"Have I come at a bad time?" Xaqa asks, hands behind his back. Xaqa was bald with fiery eyes and a tamed beard. His grey robe covering his broad shoulders as they exchanged glances with Xira.

"Not at all uncle, I was just leaving," Ren was quick to wipe her tears before exiting. At the door she stops and has one last look at Xira.

The doors close and the two brothers are left all alone.

"What is troubling your eldest daughter Xira?" Xaqa posing a very difficult question.

"Ren will be fine, she is just being herself." Replied Xira.

"To what do I owe this visit Xaqa?" Xira inquired taking his place on the golden throne.

" Trouble!" Ren who had been eaversdropping outside could overhear them.

Xira looks at his brother stunned.

"The Orix are threatening to wage war with Astrad, something about an old pact that we have failed to honour." Xira remains quiet.