꧁Chapter One.꧂

❝I missed the life

❝I missed the life.

I missed the colors of the world.

Can anyone tell where I am?❞
— Away from the Sun

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Memories that weren't really his own swirled in his brain. The only thing Phoenix Byers had to go on was the retelling of everything that had happened on the ground, which there were some parts they couldn't tell him. The bunker was cold and calculating, unlike the bright blue skies of the Earth that they all told him stories about. It was almost like being back on the Ark, daydreaming about what Earth had been like.

According to Doctor Abby Griffin, they had only been in the bunker for several weeks. She also informed him as gently as she could that she couldn't tell him if he'd ever remember, and that torturing himself with the unknown wasn't going to help him.

He raised his hand to smooth down his hair, sitting down in Octavia's very own council room. The two had been spending a lot of time together, Octavia filling him in on the things she had been around for. Phoenix honestly felt a little bad for her, having won them a spot in the bunker, but now she has to be a leader. The only reason they allowed him in while they discussed major problems is because of Octavia. She had adamantly refused to take part unless he was there, feeling slightly responsible for him even though none of his condition was her fault.

“Well this changes nothing,” Marcus Kane was saying in response to Jaha informing them there isn't another way out, after the roof collapsed onto the door, locking them in. “We can't survive outside for the next five years, anyway. That means we have five years to solve this problem. What would it take to cut around the hatch? Or break through an outer wall?” Kane asked, glancing up at Jaha and Kara while pointing at the blue print. “You point me in the direction of a weak spot, I'll get you a team that can break through.”

“You're not listening,” Jaha interrupted him. “Even if we could cut around the hatch, which we can't. I'm guessing the tower collapsed above us,” he guessed, glancing over at Octavia, and Indra. “which means thousands of rubble. As far as the outer wall, that's twelve inches of solid steel.”

Jaha told them there were no vulnerabilities to get through, unless someone on the ground pulled off every inch of the rubble, then they most likely would be trapped down here. Kara, the ever bringer of bad news, informed them of a more pressing issue. The Hydrofarm’s yield won't support them beyond five years.

“Oh,” Phoenix muttered, shaking his head while throwing a hand in the air dramatically. “Isn't this cheerful.”