꧁Chapter Nine.꧂

❝I went to bed I was thinking about you,

I wanna talk and laugh like we used to.

When I see you in my dreams at night,

Its so real but its in my mind,

And now, I guess this is as good as it gets.❞

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

“Would you stop pacing?” Monty asked, annoyance flaring in his tone as he looked up from the computer at Bellamy. Phoenix had decided to stay behind with them instead of returning back to Octavia like he probably should have.

“Hey, relax,” Phoenix told Bellamy, eyes flickering between him and Monty. “He'll get it done. Won't you, Monty?” he coaxed, but the look on the other man's face didn't seem to agree with him.

“I have access to the mothership from the lazer-comm, but everything is encrypted, so no,” Monty explained, voice raised ever so slightly, which didn't seem to get better at Bellamy's disappointed look. “When we were up there, I could have opened a backdoor from the inside, but we didn't even know they had a damn camera!” he finished, angrily slamming his fist on the tabletop.

“Take it easy,” Bellamy tried to sound comforting as he moved from his position of pacing towards Monty.

“Look, why are we even doing this?” Monty continued, his anger not subsiding. “So your sister can go to war? What happened to us being the good guys?” He scoffed as Bellamy tried to say they were the good guys, not believing it. “Really? Letting her kill people for defecting. Correction — thinking about defecting, and why do we have her lackey in here again?”

“Raven's a prisoner,” Bellamy countered. “Murphy has a shock-collar around his neck and is alone in the woods with Emori. This..” he gestured towards the computer. “This is how we get back to them. Phoenix is on our side, we can trust him.”

“Phoenix doesn't even remember who we are to him. Why would he protect us over someone he's been following for six years?”

Phoenix,” Phoenix muttered, raising a hand in the air and pointing it at himself. “Is right here for the record. If there's anyone here besides you who doesn't want a war, its me. The things we've.. the things I've done. Id rather be on the team with less bloodshed.”

“I didn't mean it like that,” Monty tried to backtrack, but Phoenix waved it away like it didn't bother him. Monty sighed. “I'm telling you, I can't do it from here.” The trio were interrupted from discussing it further as Echo opened the door and stepped inside.

“What's the matter? No takers?” Bellamy asked, moving to walk around the table to stand in front of her.

“Oh no, there were takers,” Echo spoke gravely. “I'm just not turning them in.” At Monty's sigh, Echo glanced at him before turning back to Bellamy. Her next words caused Phoenix to look at the ground. “Some bad things went on down here, Bellamy. No one will talk about it, not even the ones who want to defect. I can see it in their faces,” Echo continued, glancing at Phoenix out of the corner of her eyes. “I'm sorry. I know this means I'll be banished, but I can't do it.”

“You could defect with them,” Phoenix stated, even though it pained him to say it. If Echo stays then she's as good as dead, and Phoenix can see clearly that Bellamy didn't want her to do it alone. If it meant they'd be safe, then this was the only option. “You said you can't do it from here, could you if you had inside help?” Phoenix directed the last question at Monty, who at his words began rifling through the parts on the table.

“I could put the backdoor code on a thumb drive,” he confirmed.

“Octavia isn't kidding about shooting the defectors,” Phoenix warned them. “Let me make it seem like I want to do it. Then Echo give her a better idea.”

▰━▰━▰━▰━▰━▰━▰━▰

“So, what do you have for me?” Octavia demanded in place of a greeting, staring at them as they entered her throne room. She didn't move from her spot. Not even when Bellamy informed her she wouldn't like it, or when Echo told her she wasn't going to turn people in so they could be executed. “A spy and a murderer with a conscience. You're right, Bellamy, she has changed.”

“Do you have the names or not?” Kara demanded, ever the loyal servant by her Queens side.

“That doesn't matter,” Phoenix bravely stepped forward. “Monty was wrong. He can't hack the eye from here, not without inside help.” Phoenix didn't even flinch as Kara questioned if they all failed. “No. Not exactly.” Phoenix gestured towards Bellamy, who pulled the thumb drive out of his pocket and held it up to show Octavia.

“What is that?”

“Inside help,” Bellamy took over, explaining. “There's a program on it which opens the backdoor to their systems, giving us control of the camera on their mothership. Monty says its easy to use if we can get Inside their firewall.”

“You want me to let you defect?” Octavia questioned, gripping handles of her throne tightly.

“Either that, or your people starve to death here in Polis when your farm stops producing.”

“Let me do it,” Phoenix deadpanned, looking back and forth between Bellamy and Octavia as per the plan. “You know I'm smart. I can make a believable story and you know I'll get the job done.”

“Out of the question. I'm not sending you on a suicide mission,” Octavia proclaimed, leaving no room for arguments, but that's exactly what Phoenix had thought she would do. Octavia turned her gaze towards her brother. “And Diyoza knows who you are. She knows you're my brother, she'll never believe you're a defector.”

"Phoenix is right," Echo said simply. "She'll believe me. I already have the perfect cover. I'm banished. The defectors think I'm one of them. All you have to do is let me go alone."

“I don't like it,” Kara voiced. “Letting traitors go will promote dissent.”

“For the love of all things Blodreina, will you shut your mouth?” Phoenix deadpanned, despite the warning look from the Red Queen herself.

“You're right,” Echo cut in before Phoenix could say anything else that might get him killed. “It's a political sacrifice, but a necessary one if you want your people to survive.”

Octavia took a few minutes to process the words, before she looked at Kara. “Call off the patrols,” she ordered her despite Kara’s look of disbelief. “That's an order.” Octavia rises from her throne to issue Echo a warning, taking a step at each word. “But once you're on that ship, you're on your own. If you're discovered, or you fail to take down the eye, no one is coming to save you.”