Chapter 1/2

Tedious is the word Childe would use to describe this particular gathering, it was thronged with hoity-toity aristocrats from Liyue and Childe's boredom knew no bounds. Every individual who has chosen to converse with him had gone on and on about the most monotonous of topics, it was as if they were unable to think up something interesting. He wanted to cry out in frustration, the whole reason he had agreed to attend this enervating 'party' was because Zhongli has asked him to come, saying that he would enjoy his company greatly. It was exceedingly difficult to deny the man especially when he looked at him with such enthusiastic fondness. 

Childe shook himself from his reverie, now was not the time to recall his infatuation with a certain someone, those thoughts were reserved for his private time only. He glanced around from his seat near the buffet, frowning as he spotted the very man who had invited him to this mind-numbingly wearisome party, chatting blissfully with the other jovial looking guests. Zhongli hadn't spared even him a glance the whole duration of the gathering and Childe was fuming. Was all the sweet talk just a facade to get him to cooperate!? As he made (more like stormed) his way toward the Ex Archon, he felt a hand being placed gently on his shoulder. As he was pulled backwards, he came face to face with a ruggedly dressed woman decked with gold ornaments, ravishingly contrasting with her crimson coloured dress and silky chocolate coloured hair.

"Tartaglia, I take it? unexpected to see a Harbinger at such a glamorous celebration"

"Well, the Fatui is always full of surprises Ms-"

"Beidou." She finished for him, a devious smile caressing her half-hidden face. He tried to smile back in kind, but it came out as more of a grimace. She gave him an enlivened look, "I had thought it uncommon for men to be disgusted when approached by a fetchingly lovely woman but here you are contradicting my beliefs." She said a bemused grin making its way into her face. He flushed at the accusation squeaking out an apology that sounded more like a complaint. An infectious laugh made its way out of her mouth echoing through the hall, a few heads turned their way, "even apologies don't come easy to you do they?"

"At least I'm trying to be a gentleman about it." He retorted, an annoyed pout the centre piece of his exasperated face. She looked at him, her expression indecipherable,

"A gentleman you say? I never expected someone of your demeanour to even consider the possibility" he wasn't sure if she was displeased or amused. What a confusing woman he thought, she was the one who approached me first yet she makes it seem as if I am the one monopolising her time. He was glad though in a way, to meet someone who finally seemed down to earth, a little overbearing but amiable nonetheless.

They fell into comfortable chatter, speaking about a variety of topics from the Crux Fleet to the mining of Cor Lapis. Never once did Childe think Zhongli's interminable speeches would come in handy, but now, he was grateful to himself for listening intently or he would have never been able to hold a conversation with this jocular woman.

"Waddya say we ditch this joint and find an actual party?" She asked excitement evident in her tone. He stopped to consider it, getting tipsy on alcohol and dancing to his hearts content with strangers definitely had its appeal, but he had promised Zhongli he would remain here until the event concluded. A regretful sigh left him,

"As much as I would love to I can't unfortunately"

"Why not? I'm sure whoever invited you wouldn't take notice, unless..there is someone you were looking forward to dancing with tonight?" Her teasing expression made him flush.

"I-it's not like that," He mumbled blushing scarlet, "I made a promise is all." She looked at him suspiciously, her eyes scanning his flushed face.

"Your lying," she concluded her eyebrows raised in a silent challenge. Her gave in, there was no hiding anything from this aggravatingly astute woman, he glanced over at the winsome consultant, he was conversing happily with three of the guests, most probably retelling one the many stories he had gone on and on about to him. Her eyes followed his line of sight, he heard a soft snort behind him, he didn't need turn his head to see exactly which expression she wore.

"This 'certain someone' seems to have truly captured your attention Mr Tartaglia." He diverted his eyes to look at her crimson ones.

"They have," he agreed, the feelings he had been so careful at concealing, finally brought to light. He smiled at the confession his eyes becoming crescent moons.

"Well then I wish you the best of luck," she grinned, giving him a pat on his back. As she left, she slammed the door unceremoniously behind her, making a few people grumble in indignation. With a woeful sigh he made his way toward the balcony hoping to get a breath of fresh air. Liyue was beautiful at night, the dappled stars shined in a myriad of colours as the golden glow from various households lit up the walkway. How he wished that he could stay a little longer to enjoy the city and the people in it, no matter how unwelcome he was in this dazzling city. His eyes fluttered close as he traversed the fleeting memories, stored at the back of his mind Having lunch at wanmin restaurant whilst trying his absolute best at mastering the devil that people called chopsticks. 

A person never dies so long as they are remembered, that's what Zhongli had told him one day while they were dinning together at the travellers tea pot abode. He had not thought much of it that day, but now, thinking back, there was a great deal of maturity Zhongli had that he regrettably lacked and he sincerely hoped that he could live on forever in the dreams and memories of the Ex Archon. It was pleasant thing, a memory, the only object a human could possess that remained uncorrupted and for someone as tainted as him, to be in possession of such an innocent entity was astonishing.

"Childe," he heard a baritone voice call out, he whipped around to face the devastatingly handsome man, his sunset coloured eyes accentuated by the moonlight.

"Is there something wrong Xingsheng?"

"not in the slightest, I was merely wondering where you had vanished to"

He chose not to reply, cheeks heating at the fact that the consultant had been observing him the whole duration of the party. He looked into Zhongli's Cor Lapis eyes, analysing his expression meticulously.

"Xingsheng would you like to dance?" He blurted out before he could think better of it. The question quite obviously took the brunette by surprise, his eyes widening slightly in shock. He swiftly regained his composure, stretching out his hand to the harbinger in a silent invitation. Gracefully accepting Childe fell into a comfortable rhythm with the older man. Gentle music floated out from behind the closed doors, adding to the romantically serene atmosphere. Tartaglia sighed in pleasure, the two and fro movements of the pair, he found to be a comforting rhythm. Gripping the consultant's hands tighter, he began to dance with a surprising show of talent. He danced and danced until he was coughing mess, absolutely exhausted but ridiculously satisfied.

In his delirium he retched a tar black liquid, watching as it slid, nauseatingly down his gloved hand.

He shook off the dirtied glove disposing it over the balcony railing, without a care for which unfortunate citizen it might have landed on. As he vision cleared he observed his surrounds, a numbingly painful chill setting deep within his bones. He was alone. There was no Zhongli, no anybody, 'I had dreamt it' he thought with a shiver, he wanted to cry to scream to call out for help, but he stayed silent the newly discovered information still weighing down on his head. 

Disclamair: none of the artworks belong to me I found them on the Internet