CHAPTER 4

“It is said that the Imperial House of Miltan in the Western Continent has changed.”

Nabel froze at Ryne’s words. Neither saw his reaction as Ryne attention was on Ronée and Ronée’s focus was on the teacup she was sipping from.

“Didn’t the House of Miltans just come into power? After the dismantling of the House of Iver?”

It was already a famous story. Ryne nodded her head.

“That’s right. But the emperor died during a rebellion, and his brother took his place and ascended the throne.”

“There must have been another rebellion again….”

Ronée nodded her head. It wasn’t lively enough of a story to tell her young mistress, but Ryne had limited access to the stories she was able to hear inside the mansion.

It was because Ryne, who served Ronée, was not well liked by the other maids.

“Yes. They say there’s been a lot of division within the House of Miltan.”

After arranging the tea leaves, Ryne bent down to examine the hemline of Ronée’s clothes. Her skill in cutting and trimming the singed parts was well practiced as she had done it more than once or twice.

Ronée handed her the hem of her robe with her apologetic expression.

Nabel was deeply engrossed in his own thoughts.

“But there is no house powerful enough to overthrow the Miltans, so the ruler of the western continent will be decided among the members of the Miltan family.”

Ryne’s movements were fast as she continued on about stories of a legendary forest located at the edge of the western continent and of the rippling sea located at the edge of their own continent.

Ryne and Ronée were people lived far inland so neither of them had ever seen such places.

“Come along, it’s all dry.”

By the time Ryne finished her storytelling, Ronée’s clothes were all dry.

“You can’t follow us.”

Nabel still had a subdued expression upon his face. Naturally, he had no intention of following Ronée as she went to change her clothes and expressed this by taking several steps back.

Ryne ducked her head as she led Ronee into a small room that they used as a dressing room. Like her mother, Ryne had lived her entire life serving to those of nobility. As such, she was very familiar with the tendencies of the aristocrats

“……?”

However, in her eyes, Nabel’s movements and mannerisms were nothing like those of a slave, but akin to those of nobility.

*****

That night was particularly bright. Nabel was quietly gazing up at the clouds through the window where the moonlight came in.

“Do you want to go outside?” Ronée asked abruptly. Nabel shook his head, but then stopped and opened his mouth.

“……If you want to go out.”

Ronée realized he misunderstood her words.

“Not me, but you. You keep looking out the window. I thought you wanted to walk outside.”

“Ah….” Nabel’s heart, which had been beating hard as though he was nervous, quickly subsided at Ronée’s words.

“Shall we go out?”

It was late at night anyway, around this time the manor’s servants should all be sleeping.

“Okay. I been wanting to breathe in the fresh air from outside.” Ronée replied.