Snowed In (Stony)

Steve hated everything that had something to do with math. Or science, for that matter. He was passionate about art, literature, languages and he could work his way around sports, but math, physics or biology were subjects that he couldn't understand, no matter how much he tried to. It was not like he would need them in his future, as he decided to go to culinary school after graduating high school. But he needed the grades, unfortunately.

Steve sat in the empty study room of his school and took out of his backpack his very big algebra book. On the cover, there were a bunch of smiling students. But Steve was not smiling. He actually wanted to scream and tear apart the book just from looking at him.

He hesitated, contemplating giving up, before actually opening the book and diving into the impossibly difficult exercises.

The door of the room opened and a breathless student came running in. He hid behind Steve, sitting on the floor. It took him two seconds and Steve barely saw his face, but he could recognize him from his messy hair and his singular perfume. Cologne and cigarettes. That student was undoubtedly Tony Stark, the richest, most popular student of the school. But if asked Steve, Tony was his first, real crush.

Tony was just a sophomore and wasn't part of any sports team, but nonetheless, he was the most envied student of the school. Those who didn't want to be with him wanted to be him. Steve was part of the first category but gave up hope a long time ago.

"Please, please, I beg of you, act like I'm not here"

Yeah, easy to say when Tony couldn't feel Steve's heart beating a hundred miles per hour. Or see his pale cheeks now turned red. Or the knot in his throat because that was the first time ever they were even in the same room, that they both know of.

If asked, Steve would deny that he knew exactly which was Tony's favourite restroom, which were Tony's least favourite classes, that he would ditch for the better part of the lesson to wander in the corridors, or which was the best table at lunch to see Tony best. Bucky, Sam and Wanda wouldn't be of the same opinion, though.

The door opened again and Steve looked up from his textbook, watching as Clint stepped in and looked around.

"He's not here, is he?"

Steve frowned.

"Who's not here?"

He would have known who Clint was talking about even if Tony wasn't hiding behind his chair.

Clint huffed and closed the door shut.

"Are they gone?" Tony asked in a whisper.

"Yes"

"Thank you for creating a safe place for me, man. Knowing that dum dum, they won't be back for a while" Tony said sitting on the chair next to Steve.

Steve tried to ignore his presence and definitely not to look at him, but it became more difficult when Tony moved his chair closer to Steve's to take a look at the book.

"Uh but that's easy" Tony mumbled before starting to explain how to do the exercises.

Soon enough, maths started making sense for Steve.

"How do you even know this? This is senior years stuff and you're like"

"A sophomore, yeah I know" Tony cut Steve short "I guess the genius runs in the family"

Steve scoffed, shaking his head, moving on to the next exercise.

"Can I ask you something?"

Tony nodded, without looking up.