CHAPTER 10

The carriage headed towards a white castle. In front of the massive structure, stood strictly vigilant knights who bowed their heads without daring to face the carriage.

“Greetings, Your Majesty.” They each took turns greeting Nabel.

There was no way that Ronée didn’t hear that greeting.

Nabel took off the hood of his blue robe, revealing his bright blonde hair.

Ronée’s gaze fell upon the blonde hair. Underneath the sunlight, his hair seemed to radiate brighter than the sun itself.

Her gaze traveled down from his hair to the white gloves on his hands.

“You don’t like this?” Nabel tilted his head slightly.

Ronée knew her assumptions were correct when saw that Nabel didn’t even try to deny the title of ‘His Majesty’.

It was more of a surprise than a realization. What sort of events occurred in his childhood that ended with him becoming a slave on the Eastern continent…?

‘Ah.’

Ronée’s mind quickly filled in the blanks. The first day she first met Nabel. The day she made eye contact with Nabel in that slave wagon.

It was the 100th day since the House of Miltan ascended the imperial throne of Western Empire.

It was said that they had annihilated the House of Iver, who were well-known for their golden hair and mysophobia. But Nabel managed to survive.

“Nabel Iver.”

Nabel smiled as his full name passed through her lips.

“In this palace, you will be the only one who can call me by that name,” he whispered quietly. Ronée unconsciously placed a hand over her mouth as she wondered if she had shown some form of disrespect. Nabel smiled again.

“So please say it more.”

Ronée’s eyes widened as Nabel leaned closer to her as he spoke. Having a conversation like this was akin to a dream.

His smile deepened as his gentle voice continued.

“I like hearing you say my name.”

‘I like you.’  Ronée’s memory of his words from childhood overlapped with his present voice.  Ronée blushed faintly; just ever so slightly.

*  *  *  *  *  *

Bell seemed to finally have found some strength. By the time the carriage arrived at the white castle, Bell was behaving in a cute manner in Ronée’s arms.

Bell, who had been rubbing against her cheek for a while, was startled by the people outside saluting the carriage in unison.

“Shall we go?”

Located in the middle of the deepest part of the Western Empire’s imperial fortress, was the emperor’s residence.

The grounds were tended to perfection, there was not a single stray pebble on the paths. Not one flaw could be found here.

However, to ensure the most precious person was not harmed, a soft cloth was laid in front of the carriage steps. Nabel held out his hand.

“… The people outside… ” Ronée stammered as if she was reacting to a difficult situation.

There were too many.

Nabel didn’t need to touch her to read her thoughts. Nabel poked his head outside of the carriage.

“Don’t raise your heads.”

When his order was issued, the people waiting outside bowed their heads all at once. Nabel turned to Ronée again.