Chapter 4

Haisley leaned against the door after slamming it closed, out of breath, gasping at the man's audacity to walk in while she was showering. She looked for a lock, but there was none. Praying he wouldn't barge in while she was changing, she quickly unzipped her suitcase and took out some clothes. She kept her eye on the door as she quickly put on the clothes. As she finished, her bedroom door flew open, and Haisley screamed, placing her hand over her chest.

"Does no one in your family know how to knock? Seriously?" She yelled at Olivia, who stood at the entrance giggling at Haisley.

"What do you mean? Who else barged in?" Olivia looked around the room but found no other soul. Haisley just sighed and shook her head.

"Never mind, what's up?" Haisley sat down on the bed cross-legged as Olivia made herself comfortable.

"Dinner's almost ready. I'm going to go see Adam after dinner, probably stay there the night, if you know what I mean," she said, winking at Haisley, who rolled her eyes at her.

"No worries, I know you haven't seen him since forever. I don't know how you managed to go almost a year without seeing your fiancé." Olivia shrugged nonchalantly.

"It was hard, but we made it work with phone calls and video chats. It was not ideal, but he understood how busy it became for me and had caught up with work himself." Haisley nodded in understanding. She hasn't been able to date or have a decent relationship for the past six years. Her last boyfriend, if she can even call him that, was in high school. Haisley was too busy in school to even think about boys. She's had the occasional flings and friends with benefits, but none lasting more than a month.

"So, what does Adam do exactly? I don't think you've mentioned it before." She looked at Olivia, who became a little nervous suddenly.

"He works with my brother, Roman. He's also here. You can meet him at dinner. Come on, let's go." Olive quickly stood and walked out.

That must have been Roman then who barged in while I was showering. She followed Olivia to the dining room, nervous, hoping Roman wouldn't be there so she could avoid facing him after that awkward encounter. But luck was not on her side today. She walked into the room where a long rectangular table was set up, with four of the chairs occupied by Olivia's mom, Roman, Thomas and her father. They all stared at her as she walked into the dining room. Her palms sweating, she gave a small wave and smiled sheepishly. Roman stared at her, digging a hole into her soul as she saw Olive go and sit beside Thomas, leaving the only empty seat beside Roman.

Hesitantly, she sat beside Roman as he continued to stare at her. She sat at the edge of her seat, as far away from Roman as she could.

"Haisley, this is my dad and brother, Roman," Olivia said, pointing to her father, who sat beside his wife and to Roman, who wouldn't stop staring at her, one hand holding a wine glass and the other on his thigh, his foot bouncing as if he was nervous.

"Hi, Mr. Hayes. It's lovely to meet you. Olivia speaks highly of you." Mr. Hayes looked at Haisley with some doubt but gave a warm welcome.

"Call me Richard, dear. It's nice to meet the girl who has been looking after my daughter for the past several years. I'm very grateful to you, Haisley. Welcome to Alabama. Your first time here?" Haisley was more than glad for the distraction from Roman's intense stare. Did no one else notice him staring?

"It's been my pleasure having Olivia as my friend. And yes, it's my first time here, so I'm excited to have a look around town." Olivia grinned at Haisley as a young woman came to serve dinner, and everyone ate dinner silently, except for the occasional casual chatter. However, Roman glanced at her between bites, sipping on his wine, making Haisley's heartbeat speed up.

What is wrong with this guy? She had enough and sent a glare his way, and he smirked in response and looked away. Haisley victoriously smiled as she ate the delicious dinner, occasionally answering questions that someone asked her. Suddenly, she felt a large hand on her thigh, and she gasped, choking on the food, and started coughing.

"Oh dear, are you ok? Drink some water. Roman, help her out," Meredith told Roman.

Help me out? I'm choking because of him. This bastard is going to get it from me. Roman handed her a glass of water, but his hand only squeezed her thigh tighter. She was glad for the much-needed joggers she was wearing. She gulped on the water, chugging it.

"I'm ok. Thank you." Not sure who she was thanking., she placed her hand over his, attempting to pry it off, but he wouldn't let go. She huffed, not sure why he was having this effect on her body. She felt almost weak. Her breathing quickened; her appetite gone. She tried to slide away, but he pulled her leg towards him, sliding his hand higher up as if he were warning her not to move. Haisley didn't want to cause any drama in front of Olivia's family, so she remained silent, attempting to have small bites of food as Roman relished victory, having won that small battle.

Haisley looked around the table, and everyone was too busy questioning Olivia about England. She took the wine glass in front of her and chugged it, needing the alcohol to get through the rest of dinner and calm her erratic breathing. Roman lightly chuckled to himself, seeing her reaction. He knew she was uncomfortable, but he was enjoying watching her squirm.