Chapter 5

Roman was confused as he sat at the dining table, leg bouncing, pondering all the possible explanations. He was the Alpha King. He couldn't have a human mate. It's not uncommon for werewolves to have humans as mates, but it doesn't happen often, and when it does, there are a lot of precautions taken to ensure their secret is secure first. However, the higher your status is within the superhuman world, the less likely it is to have humans as mates, especially for the royal family. It has not been heard of for humans to be mated to royal wolves, as it can disrupt the bloodline, resulting in pups that are not strong enough to be of royalty.

His dad entered the room, placing a hand on Roman's shoulder, squeezing, as he sat beside his wife.

"Roman, did you talk with Olivia and her friend? What's her name again?" His dad asked him. Roman knew how apprehensive his dad was with an unauthorized human in town. It could cause a lot of unwanted tension once the news spreads into town.

"It's Haisley. I spoke to Olivia and bumped into Haisley upstairs. Olive assures me she'll stay with Haisley, but we both know Olive. She hasn't seen Adam for almost a year now. She's not going to be able to stay away any longer. So, I'm going to have some of my men guard Haisley just to be sure she doesn't get into trouble." His father nodded in agreement. He didn't want to tell anyone about Haisley being his mate, as he didn't fully understand it either, and he wanted some answers before he told anyone.

He could hear footsteps coming down the stairs, turning to see his sister and his supposed mate walking into the dining hall. She refused to look at him as much as possible, which only amused Roman. He wasn't upset that his mate was human, but he wasn't sure how the town and his family would handle the news and what it meant for their future. Until he had answers, he would keep it to himself.

Olive sat beside Thomas without his interference, and Haisley had no choice but to sit beside him, making Roman's wolf howl in happiness. Wolves don't have a separate consciousness. Instead, they share one body and mind with the human so they can constantly feel and think as one.

Roman stared at Haisley throughout dinner, noticing how she politely smiled at his parents, her tone of voice, and even her mannerisms. It all appealed to him. He saw how she sat at the edge of her seat, not wanting to be near Roman, which pissed off his wolf, but Roman found it amusing. His wolf wanted his mate near him, and Roman was getting restless with the beast growling in his head, so to appease him, he placed a hand on her thigh. Haisley choked when he made contact. He felt the electricity run through his arm, confirming that they were mates, but he wondered if she also sensed it.

Once Haisley settled down, her little attempts to remove his hand entertained him and became a game for his wolf, wanting his mate to submit to him. As an Alpha King, Roman's wolf was more demanding, ruthless when it needed to be, more possessive of his mate and protective of his loved ones. It took him almost a decade to learn to control the animal within him, to become one with him. Only then was he fit to lead their town. It is also why it takes longer for Royal blood to find their mates, as it can be dangerous if they mate before the human tames the wolf.

Eventually, Haisley gave up on fighting him, and he shifted his hand higher, warning her what would happen if she moved even an inch. His wolf was pleased, growling in happiness that his mate had submitted to him. It also pleased him, hardening his cock, which he could not hide, but no one seemed to notice.

Once dinner was complete, Haisley wasted no time getting up from the chair as fast as she could and followed Olivia upstairs. He laughed, satisfied that he affected her as much as she did to him.

Roman was in his room, talking to Adam, his gamma, the third in command and one of his childhood best friends when Olivia barged into his room. He knew what she would tell him before she opened her mouth. This brat. She can't even keep her word for more than a day. Olivia smiled sheepishly at Roman as he stared at her emotionless, hanging up the phone call with Adam.