CHAPTER 9:Where it all went wrong

(Ranger's POV)

This was it. It was the 25th wave, but the enemies were still getting far. The good thing was that they weren't getting as far. And then they sent out the Glitches. Those fast little freaks had the power to speed by everyone, except me. The fate of the LITERAL MISSION was now in my hands.

But, I had good precision. Another problem was that, I killed the Glitches, but the glitch dosen't go away. I shoot a Glitch, it dies, then the tiny little microscopic glitch makes it's way over to something technological, like the Turret. And then, bada boom bada bing, the Turret just got shut down for a few seconds.

But eventually, I got rid of those Glitches, both alive or otherwise, and it was (sort of?) smooth sailing for a couple waves. Then the 30th wave rolled around. That Tank was an even bigger problem. It was a Glitch, but worse. It could stand SO MUCH MORE of a beating, while having a speed that rivals THE QUICK. But luckily, Toxic Gunner was able to slow it down, and with the help of Sledger, it went down decently easily. Although, Sledger seemed to be staring off into space more today. I wonder why?

A couple more waves passed. Then wave 36 happened.

The Errors. The Summoner Bosses. No more support. It got crazy. Gunfire, Commander yelling, DJ's fucking music that was turned all the way up. A Templar as a constant threat. The Errors that were EVEN WORSE than the Glitches. And my railgun jamming for some godamn reason. And then, I remembered something. I used to be an Outlaw. I had skills when it came to dangerous situations. I yelled to Mortar;

"STOP SHOOTING THE ERRORS! WE NEED TO TAKE OUT THE HIGHER ENEMIES!"

"WHAT? ARE YOU CRAZY? THOSE ERRORS WILL GET THROUGH EVERYONE ELSE! WE'RE THE ONLY ONES WITH THE BIG ENOUGH RANGE!"

"TRUST ME ON THIS!"

"FINE!"

And right on cue. Lava Tanks. They were here thanks to me.

I had a few buddies from.. A long time ago. They gave me this sort of call-box thing that I could use in a heated encounter. If I did use it, it would send in a squad of air-drop Lava Tanks. Computer controlled, they were easy to use with the controller. I could hear a garbled voice over the radio on the controller.

"So, finally decided to use it. Been a long time, Coll."

"I know! Just give me control!"

"Kay, fine."

Then I heard Commander's voice from below me.

"THE HELL DID THESE COME FROM?!"

I yelled back.

"THEY'RE FROM ME! JUST GO WITH IT AND FOCUS ON THE TEMPLAR AND SUMMONER BOSSES!"

"FINE, BUT THERE'S GOING TO BE QUESTIONS AFTER THIS BATTLE!"

That was the next waves taken care of. The Templars and Summoner Bosses eventually fell, but not without struggle. The 37th wave. The 38th wave. The 39th wave. Then it became real. Fallen Heros. They always came out in packs. The first weren't a problem. Then, more Templars. More Errors. More Summoner Bosses. It was dangerous. But, through some miracle, we did it. The feeling of exitement and optimisim immediately went down the drain as I heard massive footsteps. Lots of them. First, The Fallen Guardians. Only one of us has ever been jabbed by one, and that was poor Rocketeer. He was on life support for about a week and a half before he somehow healed during the night. Medic is still unsure about what happened. 

But then, the ground shook. It was a stomp. Almost everyone was stunned. Except Pyro. He was thrown against the wall. He hit it and probably instantly fainted. Freezer ran toward him. I stopped watching and continued shooting the last of the Fallen Guardians. 

Then, The Fallen King came. My heart sank as soon as I saw him. We had no chance. He had no Guardians to back him up, but that didn't matter. He was still able to end us, right now. Everyone started shooting him again, and stunning him every once in a while. He eventually entered his Rage Mode. It was even worse. Now he had support. He had reached the closest he could be to me and Mortar's little building. My heartrate had probably increased exponentially. Then, it happened. Fallen King took out his sword,      and spun it.

Me and Mortar backed away. Mortar was behind me, so it was easier for him. But I was too slow.

The sword caught me on the back.

Blood sprayed.

The last thing I remember before I blacked out was Mini's scream of panic as he watched his best friend almost get cut in half.