Chapter 02

Chapter II

At evening, the stymph egg hatched. The bony bird snapped its jaws at Liana menacingly, but Liana didn't flinch, grinning eagerly. With a swoosh of its bare, bone wings, it snatched Liana and flew through the window, shattered glass littering the floor of Liana's room. Below, on the ground, Liana caught a glimpse of the family carriage and Lucretia, following the carriage driver and flaunting her golden Flowerground Pass. Even though Lucretia couldn't see, Liana stuck out her tongue.

The stymph picked up speed and crashed through the Endless Woods. Liana yelped as a tree branch snagged at her arm, drawing blood over flesh. The stymph didn't seem to care, so Liana shut her mouth and let the blood run, hoping that it would stop bleeding by the time she got to the school. Sure, she didn't care what she looked like, much less that she was bleeding, but if she would be dropped into the moat -- which she was sure she would -- the skin would become infected. Another branch scraped her leg, but she barely flinched and instead kicked the tree with her boot. When the fog from the School for Evil started the cloud the setting, Liana braced herself as the stymph carrying her dropped and she plummeted into the moat. Her luggage fell in with her, but she she pinched her eyes to slits and paddled toward the black and gold suitcase that was hers. Grabbing it with one now-sludge-covered hand, she kicked her legs and swam to the castle in the distance. She yanked her suitcase out of the water and hurried to stand behind some one-eyed girl person before one of the wolf guards got a chance to whip her.

Liana followed the other students as they crossed the tower gates. She read the rusty words engraved on the gates, allowing herself a quick look of awe. The School for Evil Edification and Propagation of Sin. Once in the tower of the school, Liana saw the word NEVER scrawled on the columns and a cracked a small smile. Some of the other students crowded in the foyer gave her looks -- confused, menacing, maybe even a bit of jealousy? Liana scowled at some random hideous hairy kid who was growling at her, but dropped her scowl when she was given her schedule, uniform and books. She eagerly picked up her schedule and read, eyes lighting up.

Liana of Maidenvale

Evil, First Year

Malice Tower 63

---

Uglification (Prof. Billious Manley)

Henchmen Training (Castor)

Curses & Death Traps (Lady Lesso)

History of Villainy (Prof. August Sader)

Lunch

Special Talents (Prof. Sheeba Sheeks)

Surviving Fairy Tales - Forest Group # 4 (Yuba the Gnome)

(i kinda copied sophie's schedule : p)

Liana then stared at her books, dropping and stepping on the eel that bound the books since it was getting them slimy. Reluctantly, she slipped on the ugly smock they were required to wear, feeling sticky where the dirty water soaked her skin. Her cuts from the forest prickled too, but she ignored them, instead making a beeline for the staircase leading to Malice Tower.

Liana scanned the rooms, searching for 63. When she reached the room, a wolf guard swung open the door and pushed her inside. Liana stared at the room -- at the dumpy beds, the sour smell, then at the girls staring back at her. The first girl wrinkled her nose. She had a long, red scar across her right eye and Liana could see a angry red splotch of burned skin on her left arm. Her hair was cut unevenly. The second girl had silvery-gray hair and higher-than-normal cheekbones that made her look thin. Despite her hard features, she looked nicer than the first one. They were both reading, and barely paid any attention to Liana until she asked, "Who are you people?"

They both glanced up.

"Laetitia of Roch Briar," said the first girl, glaring.

"Calliera of Netherwood," said the second, not glaring.

Liana nodded. "Liana of Maidenvale." She plunked down her suitcase and plopped down on the spare bed. The sheets smelled damp, but she didn't really mind. She stared at the single lit candle in the room, not talking or looking at Laetitia or Calliera. Neither gave her any hint that they acknowledged her existence, but when she looked at Calliera, the girl looked back at her and she swore she saw Calliera's lips curve up slightly.