11: Magic Cake

"No reason to get excited
The thief, he kindly spoke
There are many here among us
Who feel that life is but a joke"

"All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix

"Good morning from Crumb Radio," Bash announced. "It's a big day in music here; not only for England, but for the world."

He shared an excited smile with the others, who were sitting across from his broadcasting desk as they waited with anticipation.

"Today is June first," Bash continued, "and The Beatles have just released a new song that has been the talk of the town ever since their photoshoot on Chapel Street back in May. The song, of course, is called Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I know we're excited here at Crumb Radio, which is why we're inviting you to listen to the song here first this evening. The song will air at precisely five fifteen, again on Crumb Radio. We hope to celebrate with you tonight, so get your dancing shoes on and leave today's worries at the door. Up next is James Brown after these short messages."

As soon as Bash turned off the switch, the Crumbs erupted into zealous clapping.

"I'm so excited!" Kathy cried.

"This is sure to get us good listenership," Smiley said.

As far as Bash knew, they were airing Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band earlier than any station in the area, who were all waiting until after work hours to broadcast.

Bash knew, however, that the audience most excited about The Beatles' new song were young people, who all got out of school between four and five o'clock. So, while the other radio stations waited until shops closed, Crumb Radio would already be at the top.

People were saying that it would be The Beatles' hottest release since Revolver, which meant more buzz, which meant more listeners.

Airing the song early could be The Crumbs' biggest break yet.

"We need...cake...or something," Kathy said with a mischievous, cat-like grin.

All heads swiveled toward Bash.

"Please?!" Smiley begged.

Bash pretended to be burdened by such an insinuation, but he'd actually already set the butter out to soften the night before.

"Bash's Magic Cake will make us unstoppable!" Kathy promised.

Bash was no cook and no baker. He was able to make simple meals like eggs, beans, sandwiches, and the occasional tablespoon of cream into a mug of tea.

That is, besides the Magic Cake.

Some would say that the Magic Cake was only a toffee pudding with chocolate sauce, but the Crumbs had a theory that the cake brought good luck

Bash made one on the first day of Crumb Radio. He made one on Smiley's first day of secondary school. He made one for Syl's sixteenth birthday (she believed the number sixteen was distinctly unlucky). He even made one in honor of Jimi Hendrix's first European tour.

All events were met with success and satisfied stomachs. And if there was ever a need for a Magic Cake, it was certainly now.

"Well I'm not keen on working alone, so I'll need some help," Bash said.

They all migrated to the kitchen, where Kathy began melting a pound of butter in a pan, Smiley cracked eggs, Syl chopped walnuts, and Bash measured out each ingredient as if he were caring for baby birds.