24: Radio 1

"Sometimes I don't know where
This dirty road is taking me
Sometimes I can't even see the reason why
I guess I keep a-gamblin'"

"Waitin' Around to Die" by Townes van Zandt

Smiley combed through his hair for the fifth time in the past five minutes. He just couldn't get the back to stick down, no matter how much hair wax he put in.

As he lifted the comb, he noticed that his hands were shaking.

Get a hold of yourself.

Smiley hated most things having to do with the company of adults in general. The mere thought of having to be presentable in front of the Big Man made him feel more vulnerable than he cared to admit.

The Big Man had only ever dealt with Bash, who did a fairly good job of being an adult anyway. What would he think when a group of teenagers were standing in his office? Would he realize that he was doing business with children and rethink his whole scheme?

Smiley also couldn't banish the disappointment swirling in his head.

The concert was supposed to be their rescue. It was supposed to knock the Mad Teddy's out of the water and save the station.

But it would seem their problems were just beginning.

Kathy came into the bathroom with the intention to boot Smiley out, no doubt.

Her shoulder slumped with disappointment when she beheld Smiley and his stuck-up hair.

"My darling boy," Kathy said condescendingly, clucking her tongue as she snatched the comb from Smiley's hand.

Smiley didn't even have the gumption to argue, which made Kathy's gaze sharpen with concern.

"Don't be down in the mouth," she said. "We're fine. We're all fine."

"For now."

Kathy smoothed his hair down with an aggressive pat, making Smiley scowl.

"I've been thinking," Kathy said with confidence, until her next sentence came out in a fizzling, "about my parents."

Smiley raised his eyebrows. He didn't know if he could recall a time when Kathy had ever mentioned her parents before. All he knew was that he hated them as much as Kathy did.

"You have?"

Kathy's lips formed a thin line as she added more styling gel to Smiley's hair in order to avoid his eyes. "I've always wanted to hide from them, you know? I've always been ashamed that they didn't want me, but the other day when we were playing on that stage, all I could think was, look at me now. It's silly, I know, but for once I felt like spitting in their faces instead of cowering in their shadow."

Smiley grinned. "I like the sound of that."

"Anyway, your hair is hopeless, so just wear a hat or something that matches your shoes."

Smiley groaned. He'd forgotten about shoes.

Summertime was supposed to mean bare feet all day, every day. Why did The Big Man have to positively ruin everything?

Soon all of the Crumbs were crossing over the water wearing their Sunday best and matching frowns.

There were no questions hanging in the air, no conversations to be had, so they were silent as they made their way to the docks, down the wharf, and across town to the building where the Big Man resided.