What happened with Shinji Nishiya

So, where we last stopped was with Shinji peacefully sleeping, not know what would happen when his dad would come back. Well, here's what happpened......  (Also pls note that Shinji is 6 yrs old)

"I'm home!" a voice said. 

"Papa! " Shinji got off the couch, running to his dad, when...

"What?  Get a way from me you urchin, you're disgusting." his dad hissed, a dark shadow over his face.

"Huh?" Shinji was confused.

"Hi, dear!" Hana, Shinji's mom entered the room.

"Hey, honey! How you doing!" Hiroto embraced her, shadow replaced with a smile.

That was the first time it happened. Over the days, Hiroto started becoming more violent, scolding and beating his son for no reason at all when Hana was out gathering food. Shinji's mother did not know anything about that, as Hiroto was the perfect husband when she was at home. 

Moreover, Hiroto made sure that Shinji would not snitch on him by threatening Hana (without her knowing, of course), so if Hana asked how he got hurt, he would say, "I was out playing and fell down," or "accidentally cut my self while cutting something," and that way Hiroto was never found out. 

Shinji was always covered in cuts and bruises, and sometimes the injuries they  got infected. Thankfully, since he knew first aid, he always knew how to treat them.

This went on for a long time, about three years, until something happened......