CHAPTER 16

“Do you want to see another woman by my side?”

His gaze, which looked slightly somber, fell upon Ronée. His eyes resembled the deep sea she had once read about in a book.

‘The waters may appear calm, but one never knew what laid beneath the surface…’

This described Nabel’s eyes perfectly. His gaze appeared calm, but the thoughts coursing through his mind were a complete mystery to those around him.

“Tell me I’m the only one you want” replied Ronée.

‘For the past 10 years, my mind was constantly filled with thoughts of you.’

‘Reminiscing about the time we spent together and wondering what kind of person you would become; I waited for you to return and fulfill your promise to me.’

‘So, please tell me I’m the only one you need.’

His deep blue eyes regarded her as she spoke.

“You’re more than enough for me,” Nabel said sincerely.

‘Please don’t leave,’ he silently pleaded.

“Furthermore, I want to stand at your side as a true master of the Shinsu.”

‘Regardless of what threats come our way, I refuse to yield.’

“…It could be dangerous.”

Nabel closed his eyes when thoughts of Duke Lloyd began to surface.

‘I don’t want to be disturbed by the thought of that unpleasant man while lying in this bed.’

“I don’t want to be useless while standing next to you. Not after you worked so hard to protect my sanctuary.”

Ronée still remembered the wounds Nabel received that day when he removed the vines from in front of her room with his small hands.

“What you have done for me, I will do the same for you. Or do you intend for me to simply exist at your side as an ornament?”

“I would never dare to do such a thing to you,” Nabel said as he buried his face in her arms.

“As I told you once before, my reason for revealing my secret to you is so you can hold my leash and wield me at will.”

“Then, allow me to become a true master of the Shinsu.”

In the end, Nabel had no choice but to grant Ronée’s request.

“…I will prepare you for the test.”

“And when you finally stand at my side as a true master of the Shinsu, I will make this place the warmest haven.”

‘I promise.’

Nabel held her hand tightly.

* * * * * * *

That morning, the Emperor’s Palace was lively with rumors about Nabel.

“A woman from the Eastern Continent?”

“Hold your tongue, she is a guest of His Majesty.”

“But she’s from the East…”

“… Are you saying he spent the night with her?”

Although Nabel remained silent on the matter, the rumors continued and eventually spread throughout the Imperial Castle.

Naturally, the rumors also reached the ears of Nabel’s knights.

The Imperial Castle of the Western Empire consists of several buildings within and outside the fortress walls.

Among the knights, Nesha, a member of the 1st Order of Imperial Knights, who oversaw guarding the inner castle, was forced to listen to a discussion concerning the rumors that morning.