Ditches

I roped myself into this. Good grief. Saiki thought as you all walked down a scenic path towards a nearby lake. Saiki's mind buzzed as everyone chatted amongst themselves.

There are way too many factors for a time loop this big. The smallest thing could be the cause of it all.

Kaido picked up a sleek stone from the pathway and tucked it into his pocket as everyone continued walking.

What if that pebble is the cause? How can I be sure of anything? At least with the volcano erupting and destroying all of Japan at the end of my junior year has an easy fix. This? Endless possibilities. Saiki glances your way, a small sweat drop forming on his temple. But ____ is definitely involved. I need to know more about her.

"Saiki-kun! Are you alright? You're sweating. I have a handkerchief right here if you'd like to use it," Teruhashi smiled. There's no way someone could turn down a handkerchief from Teruhashi. It would be blasphemous and God would smite the sinner on the spot, damning them eternally in Dante's inferno.

Saiki swiftly nodded his head 'no.' You could feel the Earth cracking itself open ready to swallow Saiki whole.

"I-I'll take the handkerchief, Teruhashi!" Kaido eagerly suggested, his hand already reaching out for it.

"I can grab that instead of my pal, I'm sweatin', too," Kaido and Nendo quickly sprung into action. You giggled at the dynamics of this group, causing everyone to avert their attention towards you. Even Saiki looked back, but didn't utter a sound.

So cute~ Everyone thought.

Upon reaching the lake, Kaido quickly brought out the pebble from earlier. His theme began playing as his red bandages flared up from his intense aura.

"Only the Jet Black Wings can launch a mere stone over 100 meters across this lake. No one has ever been able to follow suit in my endeavors, not even the Dark-" Nendo cut him off by skipping a stone across the lake well over 100 meters. Kaido was astonished, but soon smugly grinned. "Watch this."

Kaido's stone did not skip, it simply plopped and disappeared under the surface. Kaido turned grey in dismay and retreated to the background.

Up next was Teruhashi.

"I've never skipped stones before.." she cutely mumbled, making the boys sigh in adoration (minus Saiki, of course). As she tossed the stone, the male fish in the water were so entranced by her beauty that they propelled their fishy bodies forward to help the stone continue bouncing across the lake. She didn't get as far as Nendo, but definitely much further than Kaido. You were in awe. You and Saiki both began figuring out which rock was the ideal rock to throw.

Now it was your turn. As you got close to the lake water, you saw the perfect rock.

Unfortunately, just as you were reaching for the rock, Saiki reached for it too. His head collided with yours, making you lose your balance and fall into the shallow lake shore.

That was a complete accident. If I could just read her mind, I wouldn't have bumped into her like this.

You stared at Saiki, still sitting in the shallow water, as everyone held their breath. He stared back.

Even I am able to appreciate her beauty. How can someone fall so elegantly and still look nice drenched in murky lake water? Saiki caught himself thinking these strange thoughts. He was confused.

"It's okay, Saiki, I accept your apology." You broke the silence, playfully. Saiki snapped out of it and reached his hand out to you as his own way of apologizing. You grabbed his hand gently.

You smiled kindly at Saiki, your hand in his for a few moments longer than necessary. He couldn't seem to stop staring at you.

Your gentle smile slowly turned into a devious grin as you pulled Saiki into the water alongside you.

"Pal! Are you okay?" Nendo called out as Saiki fell face first into the water. The lingering silence turned into laughter as Saiki held a thumbs up, face still submerged in water. He was caught completely off guard. Being unable to read you, he had no idea of your intentions.

Nendo pulled out his fishing rods and began explaining how it works. How did Nendo carry 5 fishing rods during school? No one knows. Saiki was grateful that Nendo jumped right into the fishing lesson; it means Saiki was able to avoid accidentally throwing the rock into the atmosphere.

"Hmm, hey, New Girl," Nendo commented, looking directly at you.

"Yes, Nendo?"

"You aren't holdin' it right. I'll show you the right way," he says as he BOLDLY wraps his arms around you to guide your hands on how to properly hold the fishing rod. Nendo soon lets go.

You were distraught, blue with complete shock at what had just happened. Everyone else was sweating, and Saiki briefly thought, Why does Nendo get to do that, creator?

But you weren't special, because Nendo did this to whoever was holding the rod wrong. This included everyone except Teruhashi, who God favors and blessed her to avoid Nendo's grasp by holding the rod perfectly.

In the end, Teruhashi ended up with the most fish. This is because whenever she was around the water, the male fish flocked to her in hopes of being caught by that mystical human angel. You didn't have an effect on the fish, but that's to be expected. Your pink aura makes people blush, not think you're holy. Though, with your omnipotence that description may not be too far off.

You looked at your one, slightly bigger than average fish. It blushed.

On the walk home, the group was chatting and enjoying themselves. You haven't felt this good in a while. With Teruhashi around, you aren't the center of attention and it felt so freeing, like the boulder you've been carrying was lifted by her angelic wings. But, even with your strap wrapped around your thigh to block all your powers, you were able to notice Saiki's behavior. He always seemed to be walking next to you, constantly observing you, and yet hardly making any conversation with you. You just met him, it's only your first day, so maybe this is just how his character is. You averted your eyes from the path to look at Saiki, who, unsurprisingly, was already looking at you. You felt like you've had at least 8 staring contests throughout your time knowing him.

It's hard to look away from ____.

And then you fell. Right into a ditch.