2.5

WASHINGTON , D

WASHINGTON , D.C.

The President and the congress around him stared at the television in the former's office at a news update with footage of what had just happened in Paris. "Yesterday, the Paris Peace Summit was rocked by the appearance of unidentified assailants, the likes of which the world has never seen," the newsman looked directly into the camera while holding a microphone to amplify his voice for the audience watching. "Mass hysteria has gripped the nation as people ask: 'Where did they come from? Will they come back?' And most importantly, 'Are they friend or foe?'"

The President leaned forward as he watched the footage of Hank McCoy, Raven, Erik Lehnsherr, and Alice Clark in the streets of Paris. After the news section was over, he got up from his chair. "What the hell are we dealing with here? Off the record."

A man set a manila folder on the President's desk. "Two days ago, this man, Erik Lehnsherr, escaped from a maximum security prison inside the Pentagon. We believe that this woman is a former associate of Lehnsherr's," the man mentioned Raven. "They were together in Cuba the day of the crisis in '62. He was also implicated in Kennedy's assassination."

The President pointed to the four television screens, gesturing to Hank in his Beast form. "What about that thing?"

"We don't know what that thing is, sir," the previous man admitted that he had no knowledge of what Hank was. "Actually, we really don't know what any of them are."

"Yes. Yes, we do," Trask walked forward as he pointed out all the information he knew about the mutants. "They're mutants. He has....the power to control metal. Last I checked, that's what most of your weapons were made of. And she can transform into anyone. A general, a Secret Service man....even you, Mr President. She could walk into this office and order a nuclear strike if she was....in the mood," Trask spoke of Erik and Raven before he pointed to the screen showing Alice.

"And she has the ability to make one see whatever she wants and can influence one's mind to make them do whatever she wants and that's only three of them," Trask addressed the president.

"Well, do we have any countermeasures?" The president asked his team for ideas to put a stop to the destructive mutants causing havoc around the world. "Any defense?"

Trask held up an envelope toward the president. "I was waiting for you to ask me that question."

"That's an experimental program, sir," a man recalled as he noticed what Trask was trying to propose to the president. "Strictly off the books."

The president sighed as he flipped through the folder of the plans to build sentinels to take out mutants. "So you're telling me these mutants are out in the world, and our best defense are these giant metal robots?" He gestured to the pictures of the sentinels on the page in front of him.