The Person Behind The Hero

THAT NO GOOD SPEEDSTER MOTHERFUCKING SON OF A BITCH! Were the only thoughts running through my mind as I eavesdropped in on someone's apartment, watching their television. A-Train apologized alright....in the way that made him look good and the woman to be incompetent! I felt my hand crushing into the brick, digging my fingers into the wall and leaving five grooves into the brickwork as I leapt off of the wall. Swinging and climbing around the city, pissed off beyond belief. The fact that A-Train was able to weave the narrative to make it seem like he wasn't at fault.

"I have to talk to Hughie...he must be livid...or devastated...poor guy. He doesn't deserve this shit," I muttered to myself. Landing in front of the electronics shop, seeing a man with a scraggly beard talking to Hughie. I hid behind the wall, trying to listen in on the conversation those two are having.

"I heard what happened to Robin," The man said. Catching my interest and unnerving Hughie.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" Hughie asked the man.

"She wasn't in the street, she was in the middle of the fucking curb. And you, didn't take the payoff," the man said again, now unnerving me because...well how did he know that?

Oh wait...and Payoff? What payoff? The fuck is this guy talking about? I thought, realizing that I would be more helpful if I showed myself. I walked out from the wall, opening the door and walking inside. The bell ringing alerting the other two of my presence.

"Fuck are you, mate? What's with the uh...home made dumpster diver look?" The bearded man asked me.

"That's...that's Spider-Man. He uh...he tried to save Robin. He went after A-Train to make him apologize. I thought you said it'd be okay..." Hughie said to me.

"I know. I know. I thought it'd be fine too. He told me he'd apologize, I didn't think he'd pull this horse shit. I'm livid too, and I want to hang that son of a bitch by a web off the Chrysler. Now, you. Who are you. What are you talking about a payoff? Like a bribe?" I said, asking the bearded man. He looked skeptical about me for some reason. He pulled a black badge out and opened it up, showing it to us. Revealing an FBI badge.

"Butcher. Billy Butcher. You two, walk with me. I'll explain on the way," He said to us as he walked past us out of the store. Hughie and I looked at each other with a confused look.

"I already know what you're thinking. I've got your back," I said to Hughie. He shyly nodded and we followed Billy Butcher. We were walking down to Times Square Plaza, and Billy started speaking.

"I'm a part of an FBI branch designed to clock Superheroes. Especially like those in the Seven. We're the ones who make sure the heroes stay in line while they keep the normal baddies in line," Butcher explained.

"So what's your opinion about me?" I asked him. Billy looked over at me with a cockeyed analytical look.

"Not quite sure what the fuck's going on in that head of yours. I'll figure you out though," He said to me. Trying to read deeper into me. It wasn't verbal, or overtly visual...but I could tell he was scanning me. So I needed to get back on track.

"Anyways. Payoff. Heroes in line. What the fuck is up with that?" I said, diverting course back onto the main topic.

"Believe it or not. This sort of shit is more common than you realize. Supes lose hundreds of innocents all the time," Butcher said.

"That can't be true. Those stories would be all over the news!" Hughie exclaimed.

"That's where they get you. Some of them do, but they ultimately get swept under the rug. Movies, merchandise, cars, video games, television appearances, promotions up the ass. The companies that promote these heroes, they reach out to the immediate family or the closest things to family to the victims. They pay them lump sums of money, huge amounts of cash...but in order to get the money, you need to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. If they take the money, they're not allowed to ever take their tales to the public. A skeleton in the closet for as long as they live," Butcher elaborated. I unconsciously tightened my fist, feeling my blood boil as a result of what I was hearing.

"That's unbelievable... that's so sad. There are people that have to...sign their voice away? Why?" Hughie asked in disbelief.

"The public doesn't want to hear the dark side of the Superheroes. They want to believe that superheroes just drop in from the sky, save the day and pose for a few pictures. No one wants to hear about how many skulls get stepped on along the way. Nobody wants to see who the supe is behind closed doors, because it challenges the image. There's only one place though that these supes can be who they want to be," Butcher said as we walked to a hidden door on the side of a building in a dark building. A bouncer standing in front of the door.

"Names?" The bouncer asked us. I looked over at Billy and muttered quietly to him.

"Is it important that we get in that place?" I asked him. Billy gave a nod and I knew what to do. I walked back up to the bouncer.

"Hi. I'm Spider-Man!" I greeted before I punched him across the jaw. He stumbled and collapsed, my immediate instinct being to put my fingers against his corotid artery.

"He has a pulse. He'll be out for about 10 minutes. Starting....now," I said. Hughie looked shocked from my sudden burst of violence. Billy looked genuinely impressed at my swing.

"That'll do, Spider. That'll do," He said as we walked into the club. My senses being assaulted all at once. We were watching as we saw a shrunken hero dive into a woman's vagina. Ezekiel the elastic Christian hero giving two men handjobs with his rubbery arms. It pissed me off to an extent, seeing these heroes being so licentious and raw with their powers. Billy lead Hughie and I to the backroom, the security office with the monitors that had the camera footage.

"Now we just need to go back to when A-Train was here and you can see what I mean," Butcher said as we rewound the footage and scrubbed through it all. Watching various supes coming and going until we finally saw A-Train. He was chatting with somebody else, and he was talking about the lady...he was talking about Robin.

"Now. When I ran through this bitch, I actually swallowed her molar. Like a bug on the fucking windshield," A-Train said, actively mocking her death now.

"Dude...gross," The person with him said. They started laughing, and Hughie was definitely not okay.

"They're laughing about her now," Hughie muttered with a broken tone. Then, something caught my attention. The next topic they talked about.

"Then as I'm running to try and get on with my day. This...I don't know man. A fucking child swings in, dropping from the fucking sky. Pinned me against the wall and threatened to kill me if I didn't apologize. Joke's on him, now I made the bitch seem stupid," A-Train said. My anger flew off the handle and I punched a hole straight through the monitor with A-Train on it.

"...what's your plan, Butcher?" I asked him, pulling my hand from the monitor.