1

How long has it been?

When we first exchanged smiles, nerves shriveled down my body at the sight of a new, yet familiar face.  Why that feeling rose, I'm not sure as to the reason being that I seemed to not have any history with this village, let alone any person around.

"I'm Volo of the Gingko Guild," he said. I felt his curious eyes on me, making me anxious. Though, this disappeared almost immediately after he flashed a smile, pointing a finger excitedly, "I heard you're to set off on a few trials! Lets battle to get your blood pumping!"

His Togepi was a sweet little angel. After we had battled, he healed our Pokémon and I saw how sweetly he treated her. Seeing how gentle he was with her allowed me to begin to paint this picture of him, knowing that I'll enjoy what comes of it eventually.

Some time passes and I cross paths with him more often than I had thought. Of course, with him being a merchant he's bound to travel but I have noticed that I see him repeatedly in areas in which I wouldn't have expected. I've seen him in empty areas void of people, caves, fields, what does he do in his time outside of work?

He's pretty curious himself.

I remember when we cross paths that sometimes we would halt our work just to spend time together. He'd tell me what he's learned of Hisui or of some strange phenomenon that seem to have been overlooked, which happened more often since the space-time rift had opened, apparently. In exchange, I'd tell him about the Pokémon I've come across and I'd see how his eyes would shine in interest when certain Pokémon sounded more unique to him. I enjoyed these talks, and often found myself looking forward for the next one.

"Do you understand the amount of history this land has, but a village has only been established barely about two years ago?"

I nodded, "A lot of history rarely gets uncovered, I'm glad a village finally settled in this region— it would finally have its turn to have its stories revealed."

From this, he looked at me with a spark in his eyes, and I thought that he hadn't expected me to respond with that. At least, that's what I got from that look, if only I knew about what goes on in that mind of his.

He gazed into my eyes for a bit until, "Yeah... you're right," the wind is flowing through his golden locks, almost blowing away the bang that covers that hidden eye. The hidden eye that is missing from the puzzle, how I wish to gaze through that steel colored gaze of his. "I want to uncover them. Though, of course it'd be difficult to do it on my own... will you help me on these discoveries?"

I nodded, smiling, "Of course, Volo. I'll help with all that I can."

He nodded back, smiling as he sighed in satisfaction at the answer. We stayed silent for a while longer, gazing into the other's eyes as I continued to wonder about how he'd look if I had brushed away his bangs, took off his hat, undid his bun...

I felt the air become tense. We were locked in a trance with one another, eyes refusing to turn away. His smooth, fair skin, his silky blond hair, his steel eyes...

His expression.

He wasn't his usual relaxed, or silly self, but rather... invested. He didn't want to look away either. There was no smile on his lips, yet his visible eye was slightly widened, a look like one when you just saw the most precious gem on the ground by itself, like someone had placed it there beforehand.

I feel like he was seeing the same thing too.

...

...what if I..?

I finally tore away from his gaze— feeling warmth rise up to my face, heart racing. No, that would be weird and I am NOT going to embarrass myself. I felt him shuffle beside me where he sat, clearing his throat as I saw him look away as well, with one hand balled up in front of his face as if he coughed. From what I saw, his cheeks were faintly pink with an unreadable expression.

I felt terrible. I felt like I knew what he was thinking, and that embarrassment that I tried to save from myself had not been saved at all. I just hope he wasn't thinking that I was weird or something of the sort. I sighed.

At this, he looked back at me finally, saying "Hey, you're alright?"

I shrugged, "Sorry about that. It must've been awkward, huh? I couldn't think of anything else to say after that, if I'm being honest. But I'm serious! I'll help you with everything that I can Volo, just ask and I'll be there."

He chuckled, placing his hand on my shoulder and giving it a small shake with his signature sweet smile. "Nothing to apologize for, (y/n). I was thinking of something though."

"What?" I asked, curious.

He turned his attention over to the horizon, seeing the sun about to set.

"What would you say your favorite time of day is?"

I looked at him, his soft eyes glowing from the sky's light.

"The morning, when the sun begins to glimmer from a distance, preparing to paint a new canvas? The afternoon, when nature is at its peak of beauty, when all life is greeted by the new day?" He motioned towards the sunset, "The evening, when the sky becomes a gorgeous piece, that even the most professional artists cannot recreate its beauty..."

He paused, closing his eyes as if picturing the next image in a beautiful scene.

"Or the night, when all is quiet and guided by the moon's lullaby, when the stars shine at their brightest to create a new figure every night?"

He looked back at me.

"Each time of day has its best feature. Personally, I like the night best."