2

That memory of meeting him is one I won't forget.

He always had that feeling of comfort, of warmth.

There had been a time where I felt the most safe— and surprisingly, with him of all people.

"Volo!! Quit doing that!"

I laughed as I nearly jumped after he pretended to toss a poor wild Wurmple, almost having me lunge to catch it in case if he did.

From seeing how softly he held it I doubted it but it still didn't leave me completely at ease as he played.

"Oh hush, it's a cute little guy! How could I scare it like that?" He asked innocently as he lowered down, letting the Wurmple crawl out of his hands hastily. "That's most likely the most fun it's had since... birth or something."

I bite down a laugh in an attempt to not entertain him. "I'm sure it's had fun before," we both stop our walk to see what the Wurmple does, and to my surprise it stopped crawling as soon as it noticed us. It watched us for a bit, then crawled closer to us almost shyly.

Volo hummed, kneeling down in front of it. It looked... excited?

Already knowing what's coming, I scoff, wanting to smile and cross my arms, looking away. I already feel Volo's smug eyes piercing through me and I tried with all my might to ignore it.

"It liked it," he said with a tune to his voice, and I continued to stare at a nearby tree filled with berries.  "You think it had... fun?"

Finally, I look back at him and the first thing I see is the pleased look in his eye. A look of 'I told you so, of course I was right' and just the satisfaction of being right about something once again. Though over something small, he always had a hunch about things.

"...Yeah," I replied, rolling my eyes playfully. I look back at the happy Wurmple, who which finally crawled back onto the man's hands. Volo's eyes warmed at the sight of a wild Pokémon taking a liking to him.

The sight of him kneeling down on the grass with a small Pokémon in his hold is quite adorable. The wind was softly blowing, brushing through the grass as well as his golden locks. The sun was shining brightly, the clouds occasionally covering it, creating a nice balance of warmth and breeze.

I sit down next to him, locking eyes with him for a moment, the softness of his expression putting me just as ease as that Wurmple in his hands.

"You should keep it," I say, "I think it'd be cruel of you to leave it after this. It really likes you."

He nodded, "I think so too."

He adjusted himself to be more comfortable on the grass and there we sat in a comfortable silence, enjoying the sounds of nature along with the warmth of the sun and the chill of the wind.

My eyes couldn't help but go back up to the merchant in front of me, amused with his silence as well. He watched the Wurmple, who had now snuggled up and seems to be napping, before closing his own eyes, leaning back and tilting his head up to the sun. He let out a satisfied sigh.

I couldn't take my eyes off of him. His hair was reflecting the sun, giving it a brighter shine and glow than usual. I wanted to sit closer to him, I wanted to cradle his hands like he cradled the Pokémon, I wanted to bring his bangs behind his ear and see those sharp steel eyes glow together.

I sigh softly, letting my head hang as I now watch the 'ever so interesting' grass. To be so focused on him would later serve as a mistake. I have a job to do and while of course I can spend time with him, I can't have him be constantly on my mind, especially when there are so many other dangers at hand. There had been times when I nearly got hit by a wild Pokémon and times when I could've taken the wrong step, solely due to my distracted mind as embarrassing as it is to admit. There's a space time rift that seems to grow worse and I can't let my next mistake be related to that, as drastic as I'm being right now. I just don't want to take any chances.