08 | Lost Time

The pair woke up with a start–the door was opening. Rowan was on the defense even without any energy in their body. "Get up witch," The voice called, their face was shadowed but Rowan recognized it as the man who threw the pair into the shithole they sat in. "I said–get up!" He pushed a prod toward Rowan.

All they could do was jump out of the way, Rowan stood up awkwardly. Their back bent up and aching from sitting for however long it had been, "Where the fuck are you taking us?"

A slow chuckle left the man's lips, "I never said anything of the lad, you're goin' to the gallows Grisha.

Rowan's bravado disappeared, they looked to Matthias' wide eyes with worry. They didn't know why they looked to Matthias for help but who else in here cared at all about them? "What?" That damned smile reappeared on his face, "That's illegal! I am owed a trial!"

"This is Fjerdan land sweetheart, the only thing you're owed is hellfire–"

Blood bubbled out of his head, escaping through any opening available. His eyes, ears, mouth, nose... all leaked blood. Rowan stared in confusion, wondering what–no... who was doing this. They recognized the telltale signs of a Heartrender at work.

"God, I swear he never shuts up." Nina Zenik's voice brought so much relief to Rowan's heart.

"Zenik? Is that you?"

Her face appeared in the doorway as the guard fell flat on the ground. "Why hello my dear old friend... what's that?" She pointed at Matthias curiously. "I wasn't told of a Drüskelle being with you."

"He's..." Rowan paused, suddenly nervous. Nina wouldn't react badly... they hoped so at least. "Matthias is a friend."

"Alright, let's hurry before things get nasty, I wasn't exactly invited in." Nina had on a pair of gloves, she used the key from the guard to unshackle Rowan

Matthias was unnervingly quiet as he stared, surprised by what happened. "You killed that man."

She gave the blond a peculiar look, "It was him or them," Nina stated, "Get a move on," She tossed Rowan the keys, and they made quick work of Matthias' cuffs.

"What's wrong?" They whispered to Matthias.

"Who is that?"

Rowan looked at Nina, "A friend, let's go." He was in a daze, seemingly confused. Rowan dragged Matthias by his forearm out of the cell, following after Nina quietly. Every time Matthias tried to whisper to Rowan they'd shush him quickly.

The prison in which they were being kept must have been underground, it was dark save for the occasional small window at the top of the wall. It smelled like death too. The trio were moving at a fast pace, Rowan felt reinvigorated with energy but Matthias felt like shit.

He was lagging behind because of how tired he was.

"Just around this next corner and–" Matthias falling over cut Nina off. "I think he's dead."

Rowan glared at her, "No he isn't even I can hear his heart beating." They leaned him on their shoulder even with how tall he was it wasn't horrible. "Come on, just a bit more and we're done."

"There's a ship waiting to take you home, Rowan."

"What about him?"

Nina shrugged, "I don't think even you'd get a pardon for bringing a Drüskelle to Little Palace."

Rowan suddenly stilled against the weight of Matthias. Their mission... how quickly had they forgotten it? Two... three days after finding Matti? They cursed at themself for being so idiotic.

"I'll figure something out, maybe General Kirigan will like it if I beg for his mercy."

"Oh, he'd fucking love it."

Matthias fell asleep on the boat quickly, leaving Rowan to explain their situation to Nina.

"We were trying to get out of Fjerda, I made him pretend to be my older cousin who brought me here for a visit but when we got to the coast we were stopped... by a Drüskelle guard and Matthias–I don't know he blew up and threatened the man. So they threw us in prison. I think we were there for three weeks... I'm not sure."

The young Grisha teenagers sit side by side, Rowan leans against their childhood friend. "We've been through hell, Zenik."

"I know, Yuli." Nina held their hand, comforting her friend silently. "We'll be in Ravka in no time, I promise," Nina said, looking into Rowan's eyes.

It was easy for Rowan to go back to their old self. The version of them who spent all of their time pining after Zoya Nazyalensky... that felt like years ago to Rowan. They hardly spent a year in Fjerda but felt so different.

"He knows what I am." They admitted quietly.

"And he didn't kill you?"

Rowan shook their head, "Neither did the wolf."

"Wolf!?" Nina exclaimed, fear evident in her eyes.

That made them chuckle, "You know of the Drüskelle wolves? Well, Matti's was honestly sweet. He said how violent Trassel could be but he never was that way with me." Memories of Trassel bothering Rowan endearingly brought a smile to their face.

"Rowan?" They looked at Nina curiously, "Do you like him?"

They could feel their face blanch, Nina never asks that question for no reason. Curse her and her ability to feel heartbeats. "You're a hoot, he's my friend."

"Sure," Nina smiles cheekily. "God it's worse than with Zoya!"

Rowan pushed at Nina's shoulder, "Shut your mouth Zenik before I drown you."

A loud snort escaped Nina's mouth, "As if you could conjure even a glass of water."

Embarrassment took hold of Rowan at Nina's simple jest. She wasn't being mean–just honest. It still bothered Rowan a lot even if they were usually fine with their incompetence.

"I might be a bad Grisha but I am a good soldier." Rowan pulled at the blanket around their shoulders. "Maybe my parents will finally come home." For the first time since being smuggled into Fjerda, Rowan let themself think about their family. About how they haven't seen any of them in ages.

Nina sighed, "It'll be okay, love. I'm sure they'll be there for your return. At the very least I do know Jensin will be there." Rowan visibly perked up, "Yea he's kinda losing his mind actually. Given that you were supposed to be back about three months ago."

"What?"

"You've been gone for like... nine months, Rowan."

There was a long beat of silence until Rowan realized what that meant, "I can't have been gone that long, I kept track of the time, I–" They took a deep breath, trying to recount exactly how long they were gone. "I was there for like... five or so months before I met Matthias. Then it was only—four days I think? When we were trapped in a blizzard. It took us one month to get to the coast."

Nina didn't say anything in response, just letting Rowan take it in.

"I was only supposed to be gone for six months... how did I lose time?" They wondered.

"Fjerda will do that to you." Matthias' voice startled both of the Grisha.