TWENTY TWO

Kaha se lauWoh naseeb jo tujhe mera karde

Kaha se lau
Woh naseeb jo tujhe mera karde.

▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️

It had been six months since Qirat and Zaroon's wedding. In the past months, Zaroon had started talking to Qirat at least. They both would come back home from the office, have dinner with everyone and then before sleeping, they'd talk about their respective days. They still weren't sharing a spouse relationship, but they had at least become friends. Or so he thought. Because what Qirat felt for him wasn't just platonic. Over the months, she had seen how nice of a person Zaroon was, he was polite to the househelps, a responsible son, a smart businessman, and he had been caring towards her as well. All these factors were enough for her to develop feelings for him. Since she had never understood what love was, she didn't know if she was in love with him. All she knew was his happiness made her happy, and his sadness was her sadness.

She also knew that Zaroon didn't love her. And she was okay with that. He respected her, her choices, her work and that was enough for her. She had never dreamt of a marriage where her partner would love her crazily, she wanted a comfortable marriage where she could be herself and so could her partner. And they had grown comfortable with each other's presence.

As soon as they heard azan echoed in the locality, Mahad, Parishay, Qirat and Zaroon recited the dua and broke their fast. Unlike other days, they didn't eat with patience. They just gulped down a few dates, some fruits and water before rushing towards the terrace. It was supposedly the last day of Ramadan. They were going up to see the moon. If the moon was sighted today, that would mean that Eid was going to be tomorrow.

"Why are there so many clouds?" Qirat complained like a baby, making Zaroon chuckle.

They all sat on the terrace, waiting for several minutes. Zaroon sighed and got up to leave, when Parishay's voice halted him. "Look, there it is." She was pointing towards the sky.

A very blurred silhouette of the crescent was visible through the thin layer of clouds. Qirat focused hard before she saw it and jumped up and down in excitement. "Chand Mubarak." She grinned.

Parishay smiled at the young girl. "Chand Mubarak, meri chanda."

Mahad wished her as well, before she turned towards Zaroon. "Shaadi ke baad pehli Chand Raat Mubarak."

He smiled back at her. "Aapko bhi."

They all came down a while later, and Qirat went to the dining table to eat some more. The preparations for Eid were almost done, but Parishay and Qirat went through the menu once more and made sure all the ingredients were bought. The Hussains held an Eid party every year, in which a few family friends and relatives were invited. Qirat's parents, The Zaidis, and Eshal and Ayaan, everyone were going to come.

The next morning, Qirat woke up a little early and started work in the kitchen with the maids. By the time breakfast was made, Mahad and Zaroon had gotten dressed in kurta pyjamas and were ready to leave for the masjid to offer the Eid prayer. Bidding them goodbye, Parishay and Qirat went to get ready.

Qirat took a long bath. Then she wrapped herself in a bathrobe and stood in front of the mirror to blow dry her hair and do her makeup. She twisted a few tendrils of her curly hair to pin it at the back. Then she did a nude makeup look. It was finally time to wear the outfit that Parishay had gifted her especially for Eid. It was an off white garara outfit with golden work all over it along with a black velvet dupatta. Qirat loved it, and one of the reasons was because Zaroor had worn a black kurta today, so they'd match. She wore matching earrings and bangles with it.

When Qirat walked down the stairs, she could see that Mahad and Zaroon were back from the masjid and were in the living room along with Parishay.

"MashaAllah," Parishay gasped when she saw Qirat. "You look lovely."

Qirat smiled at her mother-in-law. Mahad got up too, and Qirat wished him Eid Mubarak.

"Eid Mubarak, mera beta." He caressed his head and took out a bundle of ₹500 notes and gave it to Qirat. "Aapki eidi."

She gladly took it. Then she looked at Zaroon. And for the first time, she saw warmness in his eyes for her.

He stood in front of her and stared her up and down, making her shy under his gaze.

"You..," He whispered, "You look.."

She was blushing while looking down. He was going to compliment her, she knew it. It was the first time he was going to do it, and she couldn't wait for it.

He was looking at her in admiration, when he felt movement behind her. He looked behind her, towards the main gate of the haveli. And what he saw made his expressions change from admiration to hurt and somewhat anger. Because whom he saw was Mirhaan walking inside with his hands placed on Adab's waist.

Qirat waited for the compliment, but when it didn't come for a few minutes, she looked up at him, only to find him looking at something behind her with a hard expression. She turned her head and found a man and a woman, whom she'd never seen before, coming towards them. Parishay and Mahad also had strange expressions. Behind those two strangers, Qirat saw Zaroon's Mehr phupho and her husband, whom she'd met during the wedding.

She smiled at them. "Assalam alaikum. Eid Mubarak." She greeted Mehr and Arsalaan.

They replied back with a smile. Parishay and Mahad also came forward to hug them. It was a tradition in every Eid after Arsalaan's parents passed away. They'd come to the haveli after namaz and everyone would spend the day together.

Mehr introduced Qirat to Adab. "She is my youngest daughter, Adab and her husband, Mirhaan. They live in London, so they weren't able to attend your wedding. They came yesterday night." Qirat nodded understandingly. "And she is Zaroon's wife, Qirat."

"It is nice to meet you." Adab said and came forward to hug her. Qirat hugged her back.

Then Adab turned towards Zaroon. "Eid Mubarak."

Zaroon just nodded back at her, making Adab's smile halter, and Qirat frowned at his strange behavior. Mirhaan kept a hand on Zaroon's shoulder and pulled him in a hug.

"How are you?" Mirhaan asked.

"Fine."

Qirat was not used to Zaroon behaving rudely with people, so she decided to talk to him about it later. She welcomed everyone inside to have breakfast. Even though everyone was talking normally, there was some awkwardness on the table, and Qirat could sense it.

A while after breakfast, Eshal and Ayaan also came. Eshal hugged Adab tightly. "How are you? And how is the.." But before Eshal could complete the sentence, Adab stopped her with a look. Eshal understood, and changed the topic.

This little exchange didn't go unnoticed by Zaroon, who had been observing Adab ever since she had come. And this had gotten him curious. What was Adab hiding?

🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸

You guys were missing Adab and Mir. So here they are!!!