II

Five years ago

Five years ago

"You look beautiful today, El."

It took Harry a few months to warm up to me but when he did I found out that he is a pretty charming guy. He's kind and funny and we get along really well. The fact that him and the other people I work with are very approachable makes going to work easier for me.

I absolutely love working with Harry because he makes the days lighter by throwing some jokes here and there and he has never made me feel inferior. He always treated me fairly and kindly. He is a reflection of the man his father is. However, there is one thing that annoys me about him: when he constantly brings up wanting to sleep together.

Don't get me wrong, I'm up for sex. Just not with someone I work with. It's the first rule I made for myself when I started working. I'm not gonna sleep with anyone from work. I don't want anything to be complicated if things don't work out. It's a risk I'm not willing to take. And plus, I really like working at Styles & Campbell. I don't want to put a strain on mine and Harry's relationship if it turns out we're not sexually compatible or just compatible in general.

"And you're late. Your two o'clock is already waiting for you inside your office." I state, brushing him off.

"I know that. But can't I compliment my wonderful secretary this fine afternoon?" He smirks, leaning against the small wall of my desk.

I laugh, "it's never gonna happen, Styles."

"Never say never, Walker." He smiles, winks at me, and then leaves to enter his office. I see him through the glass window shaking the hand of his client. I look away and turn back to the papers on my desk. I'm the secretary for this floor so I handle the documents for every lawyer in this part of the building. It's a pretty easy job. I assist them by scheduling meetings and preparing and filing documents. It's also pretty interesting reading about the cases they handle. I like it.

An hour later Harry and his client are walking out of his office. They bid their goodbyes then I see him start to approach me. I look back at the papers on my desk and start scribbling down notes on my notepad.

"You don't have to pretend to write stuff every time you see me approaching, Eloise. I'm still gonna bother you anyway." I hear Harry comment but I don't look up. I laugh in my head. I wonder why I keep doing it when I know that he's right. He's just gonna keep on talking to me until he has something else to do. This time though I am actually writing useful information down.

"I'm not pretending. I'm writing down critical information for your hearing on Saturday." I bite back, continuing my work. He keeps quiet for a few seconds, probably thinking of what to say next.