I

Six years ago

Six years ago

My graduation is in two months. I already finished all my courses and I am now a free woman, well, maybe not so free. I have to find a job in order to support myself and my family. I took the course International Relations because it interested me. It's interesting to know about what goes on in the international community (and also to avoid Math courses because I absolutely loathe it. Unfortunately for me, there were two Math courses, but I survived and here I am). I also took it as a pre-law course. I originally planned to take law after obtaining my Bachelor's Degree but because of financial problems my dreams have to remain just that for now—dreams.

I have been looking at job postings online in hopes of finding a job that suits my expertise but sadly they either don't pay good enough or they require further experience. I mean, how could I get experience if they won't let me gain them? I sigh. Most companies are looking for engineering or business graduates and sadly I'm neither. If I'd have known from the start we would have financial problems I wouldn't have taken up IR and chose business instead. I guess regrets do come in the end.

As I continue to scroll online, I see a job posting for a position as a legal secretary at Styles & Campbell. It says that fresh graduates are open to apply. Well, that's me. I immediately send my resume and cover letter and hope they get back to me. I really need to find a job soon.

*

They got back to me.

I got a call from the HR department and was asked a few questions as part of an initial interview. They told me they would reach out to me again and they did.

I am now on my way to the Styles & Campbell office. It's one of the biggest law firms in the city. I guess that's a step in the right direction. If I can't be a lawyer right now then the next best thing is to work for a law firm. Maybe I can see how they operate things there. It would be a good opportunity for me too.

We already established our family has some financial problems. It all started when my father decided to gamble all our money away. It happened so fast. One morning we were fine and then the next we were broke. Apparently some guy got on his nerves and he bet it all while playing poker. He has a short temper. My father also got sick for a time so he had to stop working and thus the pile of debt began. My mother works as a librarian so she can't afford to pay for everything. I also have three siblings and I'm the eldest child, which means all my siblings are in middle and high school. The one right after me is Brent. He is in his second to the last year of high school, while the twins Macy and Hudson are in fifth grade. It's a struggle to put four kids through school while only one parent was working for a time but my mom made it work. She used her savings to pay some of our debt but we still owe the bank thousands.