What a lie what a lie

Adrian

Adrian and Chris had taken Beth back to where the rest of the squad was hiding out, an old abandoned farm house about 20 miles from Paris. Adrian just stared at Beth still passed out on the couch now, with her hands and feet tied up. He knew she was bound to wake up soon, he would hope she would understand they could help her.

"How is she?"

Adrian turned his head to see Adebayo standing in the doorway.

"She's fine, I'm just waiting for her to wake up, she's going to be so pissed." Adrian laughed humorously.

"She could of just killed you when you came into her apartment but she didn't, so that's clearly a good sign." Adebayo said shrugging.

"It's not me I've been worried about." He looked back at Beth.

Adebayo came into the room now sitting down on a chair across from them.

"At least she's not brainwashed, most devils can be or are. She's clearly special to Doctor Kant."

"I'm not special..." Beth answered with her eyes still closed.

Adrian and Adebayo both looked at Beth, her eyes slowly opening. Adrian reached over brushing Beth's hair out of her face she jerked away from his touch.

"You could of helped by leaving me alone, now you're all going to die." Beth spoke so cold.

"I see you two need to talk." Adebayo got up backing out of the room.

Adrian turned back to Beth, she was just looking out the window. He always knew she would be angry with him for this.

"We can help." He offered.

"No you can't. Just let me walk out of here Adrian." Beth wouldn't even look at him now.

"I can't do that Elizabeth..."

"Fine then." Beth huffed.

Without warning Beth jumped up head butting Adrian hard causing him to fall to the floor his head throbbing feeling as if he might pass out, Beth was stronger than she was five years ago and it shows he thought. Before he knew it she was untied, climbing out of the window.

"Wait Beth..." Adrian pleaded with her.

But it was too late Beth jumped out of the window gone in an instant.

"Fuck." Adrian got up jumping out of the window himself to follow after her.

Beth had already gotten pretty far but Adrian was catching up to her, he could hear peacemaker and Adebayo and Harcourt shouting in the distance for him. But he was only thinking about Beth. He chased her into the woods hot on her trail, he caught up to her, tackling her into the ground.

"God damn it Beth stop being so stubborn! Just listen to me!" Adrian struggled to keep Beth down.

"Fuck you Adrian! You don't understand anything!" Beth kicked and struggled against him.

"Fuck me? Fuck you for never coming back!" Adrian shouted back frustrated and upset.

Beth stopped struggling looking at Adrian with sadness and shame in her eyes. Before Adrian knew it Peacemaker, Adebayo and Harcourt were there too, Adebayo and Harcourt both with their guns drawn.

"Beth we only want to help you and to stop your dad." Adebayo said. "We can help you stop him. You can tell me everything and we can stop him we just need proof and the proof is you."

Adrian had Beth pinned on her back holding down her wrists she glanced around to everyone and then too Adrian again.

"You'd really rather die than not have me?" Beth asked.

"Without question." Adrian answered without hesitation.

Adrian finally saw something in her eyes a glint of happiness maybe or reassurance he wasn't sure.

"Okay." Beth nodded her head.

The rest of the night was long as Beth sat with Adebayo in the old farm house telling her everything she knew about Doctor Kant, her father, she knew for sure he was her biological father but she didn't know who her biological mother was. Adrian felt his stomach churning as he listened to her story. She was brainwashed most of her life most things were like a fever dream to her before high school.

She told them about how all the devils come from some kind of faked tragic background, how her dad waits till their all at least 27 before he recruits them into the devils to make sure they take to the mind control and how the devils were all average everyday people. No one would ever suspect that at night they were all deadly assassins. Beth was living from city to city as a waitress during the day and an assassin at night going by multiple identities. How every few months she was injected with some kind of serum and it was painful for a few days for her.

"He just likes to plant stories into our heads and see if we still become ruthless killers." She sighed.

Adrian noticed peacemaker putting up his hand as Beth is talking, Beth signals at him.

"So... you said your dad plans everything out... did he plan for you to meet Adrian?" He asked curiously.

"No... Adrian and I just happened to meet me by chance, my dad told me if I ever saw Adrian again though that... he would just kill him and erase my memory of him, so I just stayed away from Adrian." Beth looked at her hands. "I think he does it to all the devils... just holds someone over us."

The room filled with some sympathetic silence.

"We should all get some sleep now, I have an early private flight for us tomorrow." Adebayo looked around the room.

Everyone went to their rooms, Adrian sat with Beth still in the living room. Beth was twirling her fingers. Adrian just watched her for a moment. She was being more quiet than usual lol and Adrian knew why, she was overthinking in that head of hers.

"Elizabeth what I said to you earlier in the woods I'm sor—"

"Don't Adrian don't apologize for that, I shouldn't of ever left you... what I did was cowardly.." Beth shook her head.

"No it wasn't cowardly." Adrian grabbed Beth's hands. "Nothing about what you did was cowardly."

Beth was shaking her head almost crying.

"It was... you are strong and more than capable of taking care of yourself I should of known that but I was too scared to go against my dad I'm a coward." Beth could feel so much regret for the last five years. "All the years I caused us both pain and all the time we didn't spend together—"

"Elizabeth stop it." Adrian cupped her face making her look at him. "Your dad knew how to manipulate you, he knew that I was your weakness and he used that against you to get you to do things you didn't want to do for him and you protected me the only way you could, I know it was torture... you were a hostage to him, but not anymore and not ever again."

Adrian and Beth shared a kiss, then pressed their foreheads together their noses brushing slightly.

"Are you sure about the plan?" Beth whispered.

"I'm sure, you?"

"I trust you." Beth smirked.

Something Adrian does feel guilty about is lying to everyone especially to Chris/ Peacemaker. Adrian and Beth had made a plan in the woods before everyone caught up to them.

"Fuck me? Fuck you for never coming back!"

Beth stopped struggling looking at Adrian with sadness and shame in her eyes now.

"I have a tracker inside of me he knows I'm somewhere I shouldn't be. The devils are going to come here if I don't leave." Beth said.

Adrian had a plan.

"Let them come here."

"What?" Beth said confused.

"Let them come here and tell them you were getting intel, they listen to you, then go back to your dad, bring me to him and... we can kill him or maybe he'll just kill us, either way Elizabeth I can't live knowing you're a hostage and knowing I can do something about it."

Beth stared back at him almost stunned, then the team caught up to them.