3 (Part 2) - The Springs

*

Surprisingly, I spent a great amount of time listening to Tracy's random stories throughout the whole fight. Spending time with this kid changed my perspective on children. Everyone in my family knew that patience and kids did not go together with me. For some reason, this little girl helped me change my view. I couldn't say I've fully changed my mind, but it was a start.

When the captain announced that the plane was landing, Tracy looked up at me with her puppy dog eyes. "Thank you."

I looked down at her, confused. "For what?"

"For keeping me company." She said softly.

My heart suddenly warmed up. Her voice sounded a bit sad. I reached out to tuck a lock of curly hair behind her ear. "Aww, I had a great time with you as well, Tracy. Thank you."

The flight attendant came over and made sure Tracy was secured in her seat. I tucked my laptop back inside my bag and waited for the plane to land. Talking to the little kid made me forget my problems. But as the wheels touched the surface of the runway, my hands were now back to being cold and clammy just like a few hours ago when I left San Diego.

It's okay. It's natural to be nervous. This was, after all, my first time being independent. No more relying on daddy dear or my mom whenever I needed something. Whatever kind of life was waiting for me here in Colorado, I'll gladly embrace it with my whole heart. This change was long overdue.

One of the flight attendants accompanied Tracy through the jet bridge. She glanced over her shoulder and waved back at me. My heart felt empty as she disappeared from my view. Tracy was such an angel. I felt like I was blessed on this trip with her presence. As I walked through the airport, I sent a quick text to Nicola informing her that I've already arrived. While waiting at the baggage carousel, I noticed Tracy was there. With a guy. They were both standing at the other side of the carousel while waiting for her bags. I'm guessing he's the father?

Since my bags were taking a long time to appear, I reached for my carry-on suitcase and walked over to where Tracy was at.

"Vienna!" She shouted as soon as she saw me. She ran over and wrapped her arms tightly around my waist. "I thought I'd never see you again."

"Just came over to say one more last goodbye," I said, patting the top of her head. I looked up and smiled at the guy she was with. The guy didn't smile back, though. Ouch. Ignoring the cold response, I extended my hand. Screw it. "I'm Vienna, by the way. Tracy and I were seatmates on the plane."

"Yeah, she did mention you." He nodded, shaking my hand in return. Not even a little smile. Gotta love a man with rough hands. My eyes drifted to the bulge of his biceps. Excitement brewed inside me. Shit. I need to get myself together. He didn't even bother telling me his name, so why do I even care?

Thick black hair, tanned skin, a lean body, and a chiseled jawline. The best part I noticed about him were his eyes. Green. My favorite color. The guy was hands down gorgeous. The sound of a classic telephone ringtone interrupted my train of thought. Green eyes answered his phone. Tracy held my hand and pointed at her large purple and pink Dora the Explorer suitcase that finally showed up on the carousel. Before I could reach for it, the guy had lifted it from the conveyor belt, with one hand holding his phone up to his left ear.

I smiled. Was he trying to impress me with his muscles? Because as much as I hate to admit it, I was impressed. But then again, I'm pretty sure Tracy's bag doesn't weigh more than twenty pounds. Green eyes kept glancing at me while he was talking on his phone. My heart fluttered. I pressed a hand to my chest. Damn. I really need a boyfriend. Brushing off his glances, I tried focusing on my bags. They weren't on the carousel yet. That's weird. The carousel had spun around countless times, but I still hadn't spotted any of my bags. I grabbed my phone from my purse and shot a text at Nicola.

Me: Sorry, I can't seem to find my bags.

Just as I hit send, the carousel belt stopped moving. None of my bags were present. Transitioning into full panic mode, I sent Nicola another text.

Me: OMG my bags are missing! :(

"Do you need help finding your bags, Miss?" Green eyes asked. He must've sensed my irritation.

"Yes, please," I nodded, relief overriding the frustration I was feeling at the moment. "I'd appreciate that. Thank you."

Green eyes rolled Tracy's bag on his side as we made our way to a counter for help. He's such a good dad. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if my bags never made it back to me. I heard lost airline luggage that was held for more than 90 days became airline property and they usually end up in an unclaimed baggage center in Scottsboro, Alabama. Well, that certainly would never happen to my bags since they're peppered with Nicola's address and my phone number.

"Giovanni." Green eyes said next to me in his soft voice.

I looked up at him, puzzled. "Giovanni?"

"Gio," he cleared his throat. He seemed a little shy. "You can call me Gio."

"Nice to meet you, Gio," I smiled. Too bad he wasn't looking. "I thought I was just going to call you green eyes since you never mentioned your name."

Well, that took some time. But hey, at least I know his name now. It's a good start. Maybe later we could exchange phone numbers. Ha. Dream on, Vienna. While we were walking silently to a nearby counter, I couldn't help but stare at his face. He seemed a little familiar. My phone started buzzing when I was about to speak to Gio.

An unknown number.

I pressed the answer button and immediately heard Nicola's voice.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Nicky," I pressed the heel of my palm against my forehead. "We're trying to locate my bags right now."

"Oh, my God. I am so sorry, Vienna," cried Nicola on the other line. "I had a flat tire on my way there. It's my fault that I took a detour, and then I also left my phone at the restaurant so I couldn't call you, and then now I have to walk back and wait for my uncle to pick me up. I am terribly sorry. Is it okay if you catch an Uber or a cab? I don't think I can make it. God, I feel so bad."

"It's okay, Nicky," I reassured her, so she could calm down. "It is what it is. You've already been a great help to me, so don't feel bad, okay? I'll see you soon."

"Actually, there is someone that could give you a lift."