chapter 41

TW: self-harm :(

"Open wide," Jimin ordered, sitting on his knees holding a piece of toast in front of Jungkook who sat drooped on the bed like a bag of potatoes.

The man's mood had taken a real deep dive in the morning, and Jimin was pretty sure it would stay that way for at least the next few days. His brain needed time to adjust to the lack of Morphine in his bloodstream. There was nothing to be done about that except pull him through this difficult time, but Jimin could tell it wouldn't be easy.

"What do you think the meaning of life is?"

Jimin bumped the piece of toast against Jungkooks lips to make the man eat. "Oh god, you're becoming emo."

Jungkook averted his gaze with a cold expression. "I'm serious."

Jimin smiled sympathetically. "I know, it doesn't look good on you. Keep big questions like that out of your head and just focus on getting clean for now mkay?"

"I don't think my life has any meaning, Jimin," Jungkook mumbled, his eyes losing focus. "Sometimes I feel like it used to have meaning, and then it just slipped away through my fingers... like sand."

The man gazed through the large hotel window at the outside world, looking sad, tired and worn-out beyond measure.

"Look at you," Jimin said with a pout, cupping Jungkook's cheek. "All sad and mopey about the meaning of life. The Jungkook I know would've never-"

"Yeah well for fuck's sakes I'm not that same damn Jungkook anymore, am I?" Jungkook snapped, his voice thundering through the room and causing Jimin to quickly pull his hand away from his face.

An awkward silence fell.

"Sorry," Jungkook mumbled after a while. "Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"No, you're right," Jimin said. "I don't know why I keep saying that. Of course you're not the same. I'm not the same either. We're both... different people now. We've lived entirely different lives."

A bitter wheeze left Jungkook's throat, and Jimin's head snapped up. "You make it sound like we're old."

Jimin shrugged. "Sometimes I feel old."

Jungkook sighed deeply. "Same."

"We've been through a lot."

"Tell me about the life you've lived," Jungkook said, his tone more alive than before.

Jimin chuckled dryly. "I already told you. I did bad shit."

"But that wasn't everything you did, right?" Jungkook asked curiously. "What about all those tattoos you've covered yourself in? They must have stories."

Jimin let himself fall backwards on the bed."My tattoos? Oh, half of them I got when I was wasted so I couldn't tell you."

Jungkook hummed. "What about the ones you got when you were sober?"

Jimin bit down on his lower lip. "How about I show you?"

"Uh-"

Before Jungkook could react to Jimin's proposal, Jimin already got up on his knees and swifty pulled his sweater over his head, revealing his bare upper body.

The half-naked man struggled to rise to his feet on the unsteady matrass, but once he was stable, he began to pose like a model and excitedly showed off his many impressive tattoos. Two full sleeves, multiple on his chest, a large one on his back, a few small ones on his thighs, and even one that went around his neck. The man had turned his milky skin into an art canvas just as Jungkook and him wanted when they were kids, and he looked incredibly cool.