Chapter 24

Fresh snow piled up, falling slowly from the sky onto the soft forming surface in the training grounds. The breeze was freezing against his reddened cheeks, flushed from the cold.

Apart from the snow crushing under the weight of his slow footsteps, Gary could hear repeated grunting and huffing in the training grounds, causing a small smile to present itself on his face as he finally arrived.

"You do know that it's a debut party...not a battlefield" he calls, amused by the girl who repeatedly swung her sword.

"And you do know it's just a little snow- not a storm" Avery fought back

"You're just jealous of my gift, which your mother has given" he gave Avery a sly smile, twirling to show the cape that had been too large for him to wear two years ago but now fit him perfectly.
His nanny, Miss Ergon had insisted on making a big cape out of her hunts, so it'd last him longer.

With an eye roll, Avery only muttered as she returned to swing her sword repeatedly, trying her best to ignore Gary who was making his way closer to her.
Petting the white fur on the neck of the cape, made of an albino fox that his nanny hinted at the competition, Gary attempted to annoy Avery further. He hummed and twirled, rubbing the cape in her face

"Ugh!" Avery stabbed the snow, leaving the wooden sword there as she placed her hands on her hips with annoyance "What do you want?" She huffed

"I am simply worried you'll catch a cold, Avy" Gary batted his eyes "I mean look at you, it's like you want to-" he gestures to her attire, a thin tank top and pants before he gasps "Oh my titans! You're nervous!"

"What?" Avery asks, baffled

"You want to get a cold don't you?" Gary said in a babyish voice, placing an arm around her with a pout "you don't want to attend your debute!"

"That's not it!" Avery "I'm just training!"

It was the truth, Gary knew Avery liked to train and insisted on doing unnecessary training such as "cold resistance" training...like right now.

"It's ok Avy, I won't tell a soul" Gary pretended to seal his lips, laughing when the other pushed him away and began to storm off, picking up the sword along the way.

"I actually came to call you to have some hot chocolate" Gary giggled, jogging up to her "I got you a debut present like I got Quinn last time, so come inside" he grinned "have a rest"

"Hot chocolate does sound good" Avery mumbled through a pout.

Gary knew, he knew how much of a big deal this for her. To Avery, this was entering a crowd of people who would compare her to the 'princess of social trends', Quinn. Its only fair she'd try to ease her nerves with some training...

"Come on! Quinn is waiting for you" he began to jog ahead

"Sister is?" Avery stopped, watching the blond with surprise

"Well- Duh doy" Gary began walking backwards "her sister is turning into an adult, joining social circles and what not- Quinn wants to congratulate you"

Avery, despite the good news, frowned, walking after Gary with head down.

"She probably is just worried I'll ruin the family name...her image" Avery kicked some snow "wants to keep an eye on me" she huffed that was interrupted by a snowball hitting her square in the face.

Stammering as she looked up, rubbing the remaining snow off her face, Avery watched Gary grin widely, another snowball in his hand.

"Stop being such a stick in the mud" Gary rolled his eyes "Quinn cares about you, really"