What went wrong?

Spencer POV

"So you're telling me, A threatened to expose us?" I asked, repeating what I just heard.

"Yes, expose us," Emily replied.

"Expose us of what exactly?" I asked, eyeing each Hanna, Emily and Aria. The look on their faces had fear and a secret written on them.

"Guys, what aren't you telling me?" I was determined to know.

The three of them looked at each other, debating who was going to do the talking that was needed for me to understand the situation. I was about to say something but Hanna butted in: "Look, Spence. When you were gassed, Toby said he saw a black figure in dark clothing-"

"And a hood up," Aria finished for Hanna.

"We all know who it was Spencer," Emily added.

I looked around realizing matters were getting worse and A is getting closer and closer to murdering us. With my undying determination to stop him, we still can't, due to the fact that A was always one step ahead of us.

"Guys? Don't you get it?" I asked a question rhetorically to them.

"Get what?" Hanna looked around confused as if the answer would pop out in colourful words.

"This is getting so much worse," I stated while looking out the window.

"Spence, things were already really bad," Aria shook her head, denying my obvious point.

"How could they be worse?" Emily asked while comforting Aria.

"Think about it, A has only ever attacked us on our own or as a group. But now, A is now hurting the people we care about and is now attacking us at our own school," I explained angrily.

The girls stared at me with frightened faces that were a mixture of fear and panic. Aria bit her bottom lip, trying to process the information in her brain while Hanna just watched me without blinking as her deep, blue eyes became watery with dejected tears. Emily was fretting in the corner, tapping her legs and brutally biting her nails simultaneously.

I had rattled my own mind as thoughts races through them with no purpose. "Hanna?" I croaked.

"You're right Spencer, that bitch is hurting people we love. And will continue to," Hanna said, shakily as her tears initiated their downpour.

"Come here Han," Emily held Hanna as she cried into her t-shirt.

"Spencer, what do we do?" Aria asked me.

"You think I have a plan?" I asked. What did she want from me?

"Well, you just came up with a conclusion....maybe-"

"Aria, it's flattering that you think I have a plan but something I can't do is be one step ahead of A because I don't know how," I explained. 

"Then figure it out!" Hanna screamed through Emily's clothes. She faced me with profound eyes full of angst and anger. Her face had flushed red and her face had acrimony engraved on it. 

"Hanna I am not smarter than you are in this situation!" I yelled back with arms crossed. 

I hated having this feeling that people expected me to have all the answers. But I don't. I risk my life and other people to get answers, but this time is too dangerous and I am not willing to just let everything go down the drain. 

"That's not true Spencer, you are way more intelligent than any of us, maybe you can think of something?" Emily suggested calmly.

"No Emily I can't!" I shouted back. "Stop expecting me to have all these answers because I don't!"