5 - Ally

Of all the absurd things that I had done my entire life, this was the most absurd.

I was standing in front of Duke Durrant's residence in the imperial city.

You might be wondering how I entered the imperial city or how I even knew the address of their home. Well, I didn't.

Two days ago, after my "pleasant" encounter with Lord Caleb, I immediately ditched school and explored Durrant City the whole afternoon.

I was stressed and I didn't know what to do. I wanted to enjoy my time for a bit before devising a plan. I needed to calm myself so that I could think straight. After all, it is my life that is on the line.

I was buying churros with a melted chocolate dip to lift up my mood when I suddenly saw an opportunity to enter Duke Durrant's residence.

Right then and there was a flyer posted on the stall where I was buying churros.

Coincidentally, the flyer said that Lord Marshall's little sister was looking for a lady-in-waiting. It was at that moment that it seemed like luck was finally on my side for once.

Although I am basically living as a commoner now, I was technically still the niece of a baron and a daughter of a former baron, so I was qualified, barely.

I'm not really the type to work as a lady-in-waiting but it was my only chance to be able to reach out to Lord Marshall.

So, I applied for the job, and two days later, here I am standing in front of the gates of hell, the duke's residence in the imperial city.

Thank goodness I was able to pass the first screening or else I wouldn't have been allowed to come with them in the first place.

As much as I hated the name of my uncle, I wanted to get in so bad that I used his name so that I could even qualify. I almost threw up as I wrote his name on a piece of paper. It was as if I had to offer up my dignity just so I could live another day.

Since it was the weekend, I didn't have to worry about taking a leave of absence in school. That, indeed, was quite a relief. With all that had happened, I didn't want to add another problem to my plate.

Though I have no experience in serving others, I was still quite skilled. Well, at least I think so.

After my dad died, I have been basically taking care of myself and doing chores, so I was more than capable of being a lady-in-waiting. Though, I do doubt in my skills in fashion.

I just hope I get accepted.

All in all, there were 15 of us who had passed the first screening.

Today, only 3 ladies will be chosen to become Lady Lisa Durrant's lady-in-waiting.

Honestly, I don't even know anything about Lady Lisa.

Lloyd said that Lady Lisa grew up with a weak constitution, that's why the lady has never made any public appearances.

However, she will be making her first public appearance in the founding ball a few months from now.

Since the empire's only princess will be coming of age, and Lady Lisa's older brother will be finding a fiancé, I guess it was finally time for her to enter the outside world.

I'm sure that the Durrant household doesn't lack maids and manpower, but I guess Lady Lisa will be needing more lady-in-waiting.

After all, after she makes an appearance, she will surely be invited to a lot of parties and get-togethers. Being the daughter of a prominent family is quite hard.